Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Fine Line

Sometimes I need to revisit truth in the Scriptures.
I need to not just read the words but see them for how they affect me and my life.
What is really being said? Is it relevant for me? What do I need to "see" in the words?
In Matthew 8, Jesus, fresh from the sermon on the mount, is making his way down the mountain. The Bible says that "great multitudes" followed him. Seems to be the norm for Jesus. We might call them "hanger on" today. No matter what the reason they followed, there they were. Some came because of curiosity. Some thinking that Jesus just might be the Messiah they had been waiting for. Some because it was merely something to do. Don't we do the same thing today? Some go to church because that is the social setting they need to connect with people. Some go because it is tradition, "we've always gone to church." Some go in hopes that God may in fact show up and do something. Some go out of desperation because life is so painful that they need Jesus to touch and heal them.

At the bottom of the mountain.....(Isn't that the place that is best when it comes to meeting Jesus? At the bottom....) Jesus encounters a man who has leprosy. Not a popular fellow with the others. I'm sure that some objected that Jesus would even stop to speak to this man. It didn't fit their idea of how a religious man should operate. Thank goodness that Jesus was not religious! This leper came on a mission. He was going to fall before Jesus and see if he could be healed. He could not go on living with this disease any longer. It was either be healed or die. Funny thing, in the Matthew 8 passage it says that the leper "worshipped him (Jesus)". Even though the objective of the leper was about himself, he acknowledged that Jesus was the answer. Jesus had the power to heal. Jesus was the source of life that this man needed, so he (the leper) began by falling on his face and worshipping Jesus. Don't you know that this really stirred up the religious folks. "Someone take this man away...such a show of  low character to try and manipulate Jesus to do something."

The leper speaks ----
"If you will, you can make me clean."
Did you catch that?
The leper does not doubt Jesus' ability to heal him.
He doubts himself that he is worthy to receive such a gift.
He knows that he has nothing to give in return for such a wonderful gift.
"I know you can heal me.............I'm just not sure you want to."
Aren't we like that leper?
We know that God is who He says He is, we just doubt that we are important enough, or that we have favor with God for Him to act in our lives.
Notice what Jesus does.............
"Jesus put forth his hand and touched him."
Before any words were spoken....
Before any healing took place.....
Jesus laid his hand upon this man and took his disease away.
Jesus speaks to the leper....
"I will............be thou clean."
Three little words.....
Be...
Thou....
Clean....
I can say them and they have no power...
The one who spoke the world into existence can say them and the very atomic level of the disease, the molecular structure of leprosy is destroyed and not only that, but the skin is restored and made new.
That is powerful!
Why do we doubt that Jesus truly wants to speak into our lives...into our very being...the core of who we are ....and heal us. Today is the day that we come to Jesus, like the leper, and fall on our face and worship him. "You, Lord have the power to change me.....I am here for you to do so."
Let the change of God take place deep within you today.....
Make yourself available for that change to take place......
You might surprised as to what happens....

God on you..........
mb

1 comment:

Heather Bynum said...

Thanks for this! Somehow when I am at my lowest, I can come to your blog and be lifted up.

Love you guys and I think we may see you very soon!!

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...