Saturday, August 21, 2010

What Is Up With This Blog?

I changed the picture used as background for this blog.
I like space ships.
Or rather should I say, as a kid from the 1950's, "I like rocket ships."
Space travel was coming into its own during the 50's.
Russia had launched Sputnik and not to be outdone, America launched Explorer.
We dreamed.
We sat in front of black and white televisions to count down with mission control for the lift off.
We all used  the term "A-o.k." when answering Mom if we were alright.
We had hero's..........they were called Astronauts.
Even the very name (Astronaut) sounded exciting and like something straight out of Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon...only this was real.

At that time, my whole world revolved around space travel.
I had models of rockets all over my bedroom.
I even began building and launching rockets that I had purchased from the Estes Company.
We kid's of the 50's were dreaming big.
Even to this day, I can be out at night and look up in the sky, see the moon and get a chill as I think to myself, "We have been there. Someone from this planet actually walked on the moon."
The possibilities seem endless when we thought of space travel.
It seemed like there wasn't anything that man couldn't accomplish in his strength and sheer might of his will.
But there were things we could not conquer.
As we looked around here on our own planet we saw the destruction and hate that man has for his fellow human.

We grew up.
Dreams of FUTURE life and cities that had buildings that stretched to the heavens, not to mention flying cars, were all tucked away as the years began to gather speed and roll by.
I came to the realization that I don't have any hero's any more.
No one that I look up to as a role model.
Maybe that is because I am older than most I would look to.
Maybe it is because I have lost the ability to dream. I don't know.
I wrote this blog not to depress you but to encourage you.
"Well, Mike, you sure have a funny way of encouraging."
Maybe I do.
You see I have found that the words of Jesus have shown me that I can dream again.
The words of Jesus have inspired me to start looking up again.
I have hope.
I have purpose.
When I read that Jesus said, "If I go to prepare a place for you, will I not return to get you?"
I place my faith and trust on what He said.
No matter how bad things get, I have hope.
No matter how dark the world gets spiritually, the light of Christ will over power it.
I have seen the best  (space travel) and the worst (war, crime, greed) that man has to offer.
But when I look to Jesus, I can only see life and life abundant.........
not only here and now, but stretching into eternity.
Thank you Jesus!

Thanks for letting me "double" post today.
God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...