Friday, November 12, 2010

Lunch @ Rpaha

 Our kitchen manager here at Rapha can really whip up some good food. I just got through chowing down on a chicken sandwich that would put Chick-fill-a to shame. One thing can truly be said...."No one ever left Rapha smaller than when they came in." Good food and plenty of it to jump start the appetite that drugs and alcohol had taken away from those who come here. Plenty of exercise and sunshine, not to mention rest for the mind and body.

Psalm 139:23-24 highlight the week I've been having here at Rapha. David, the King of Israel...hand picked by God.....ruler of a kingdom, here in these verses reveals a humility that comes from a real relationship with God.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life."
That is a pretty bold statement. I don't think he made it as a challenge to God, but rather as a plea to help him stay pure in his daily walk.  David is pretty much saying, "Hey God! Don't let me get away with anything." From such a view and place as this, David is not using his position as King to garner any favors with God. In fact, David is saying that he is just like everyone else. His political and social standings have nothing to do with any sense of entitlement from God. Truth be known, I think a lot of people in this country should realize and enormous truth concerning Jesus......We all stand on equal ground, level ground, at the foot of the cross. Pride creates dishonesty when we focus on ourselves because we don't want to hear the truth. Hearing that something is not right within us means that we are in need of change. Hearing that something is not right within our personality or character causes the pride to turn into rebellion. The old "I'm-captain-of-my-ship" mentality and have need of nothing and no one. It is these attitudes that keep people from receiving from God the healing they so desperately need.

Notice that David asks for God to "test" him and that through this series of testing, God will uncover any thoughts that run contrary to His wishes for David. Point out...uncover.....reveal.....anything (and what fall under anything? Everything!) in David that offends God. God reveals.............we repent.......God uncovers............we confess. It is an ongoing process that brings healing and restoration as we allow God's Holy Spirit to work in us.

God on you today.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...