Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Friend---Kenny Young

Kenny Young....
Friend.....
Brother in Christ......
Drummer extraordinaire...
I knew Kenny in High School, although we were not in the same grade.
Got hooked up with him early before I became a part of the Vineyard. Nori Kelly had put together a worship team and had asked me to play bass. Kenny was the drummer. And what a drummer he was.
He was the only drummer I had ever met that wanted the chord charts to what we were playing.
Kenny had a unique sense of humor as witnessed to the fact that 20 years after we had played together, if ever I saw him, he would ask, "Hey! When are we getting back together?"

Many times we'd be on stage playing and right before the song would start, Kenny would lean over his drums and say, "How does this song go? I forgot." I'd turn around and kind of beat out the rhythm on my chest. Kenny would go, "Oh yeah, I remember that one."

One of the engagements our band played was in Kentucky. I had the wonderful opportunity to ride with Kenny to the gig. He talked nonstop the entire trip about how we needed to pool our resources and buy a bus, then we could really travel. Kenny was all about giving up the day job to play. His passion was music and especially music that played unto God. I loved his heart for Jesus.

I got news this morning (Monday) that Kenny had died.
I didn't know the details. All I knew was that there was a big old empty spot in my heart.
I pray for God's peace to rest upon Wanda, Kenny's wife, and all their children and grandchildren.
I will miss my friend more than you may know.
Seems like we are entering the part of life where this kind of event will happen with greater frequency. With that in mind, I want to say to all my friends, "I love you and I truly do cherish the time we had together."

I had not seen Kenny in a number of years. I could make all kinds of excuses but they would ring hollow. Time has a way of helping us loose track of one another. I want to be a better friend in light of Kenny's death.

God's blessing on Kenny's family that in his death, God's Spirit would minister peace and love to them.
Thank You Lord for the time you let Kenny and I share.
Amen....

2 comments:

Nori Kelley said...

Well said my friend.

LBC said...

"Seems like we are entering the part of life where this kind of event will happen with greater frequency."

This is the second time this month that a childhood friend of mine has lost a father. Both of these dads are ones I remember fondly from spending nights under their roofs.

Kenny did have quite the sense of humor.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...