Friday, July 1, 2011

Chasing The Wind

Jeremiah 2:5
What injustice have your fathers found in me That they have gone far from Me. They have followed idols (emptiness) and have become idolaters (empty themselves).

Here we have an incredible picture of a life of addiction.
1.) Someone turns their back on God.
Oh there isn't a verbal assault where all manner of language is spoken declaring a turning away from God.
It is more the body following an idea that begins in our sinful nature.
"I'll just try this once!"
"I won't become addicted."
"It will make me feel better."
Do you see how each of those statements comes from a sinful nature that projects itself above God's desires and wishes? And isn't the attitude of being in control of our personal life straight from the garden of Eden?
In Genesis 3, the devil tells the woman, "When you eat of the fruit, your eyes will be opened and you will be like God." The temptation came because the devil gave the woman the impression that God was holding out on them. He possessed some knowledge that they didn't and it wasn't right for Him to not share. Eat the Fruit! BAM! Here we are today in a world that thinks sin and the lifestyle associated with it is natural. Not so.

In Jeremiah, God shows that whatever you chase after, long after, live for that doesn't come from his hand is empty and worthless, just like an idol. Idols of Jeremiah's day were carved pieces of wood or shaped stone or smelted metals. Empty, no power, silent but very present and always there. They were worthless.
God goes on to tell Jeremiah that this was the state of those who followed after the idols. They too became empty, no power and far away from God's directions and grace. But praise God, God's arm is not so short that it cannot lay hold of, nor is his ear so dull that he cannot hear. No one is beyond the reach of God.
His grace and mercy is sent out to every person who has ever darkened the door of a crack house. To every man and woman who has given themselves to the darkness. To every person who has bought the lie that they are beyond saving. God can and will save! Cry out to him today. Leave your worthless idol and become filled with the presence and purpose of God. You do not have to live under the burden and weight of a lie anymore.

I know that what I you are reading here in this blog is true. How? Because God rescued me. He reached down into a darkness that I thought I would never break free from, and lifted me up into the light of His presence. He cleaned me up mentally and emotionally and spiritually. Forgave me of all the sin and wrong I had committed. Gave me purpose and has lead me these past 32 years.
I am living proof of the goodness of God and you can be also.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...