Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Day I Went To The Moon


I'll never forget the first time I laid eyes on her....
Standing there in the heat of a July sun, she had all the lines that just seemed to scream "fast".

Constructed of the finest materials, she stood there like some wild mustang, chomping at the bit to be turned loose so she could do what she was created to do.
Never in my wildest dreams would I ever have imagined that I would get to take part in this incredible adventure, but here it was all right there in front of me.
I was going to the moon.
The time was 1960. I was 8 years old and the space race had blasted off with strange names like Sputnik and Echo. Man made objects that raced across the night sky, drawing our eyes to the heavens to marvel at them. As for me, a young boy from Gallant, Alabama...it was my time. I was going to the moon.
I climbed aboard the Astro-liner 1, taking my place in the specially designed chair that would enable me to stand the G-force that was sure to come when we lifted off.
The Command Module Pilot made his way to the seat, hands moving across the control panel, making last minute adjustments for our flight. Then over the loud-speaker came the countdown. 10.....9......8....my heart was racing....5.....4.....3 ...what is something went wrong and we didn't return from our flight....2.....1....too late now....0.....ignition......the cabin shuttered and vibrated as if it had been grasped by some giant hand and was being shaken.....lift off.  The vibrations increased and we slowly lifted off from the launch pad. We were on our way. The rocket begin to move to an awkward angle........45 degrees.....90 degrees....on the view screen in front of the cabin, I saw clouds racing by as we climbed higher and higher. Blue sky gave way to the inky darkness that was space. I was going to the moon. Stars filled the screen and seem to zip by with such speed that I knew our trip would not take long. I was going to the moon.

Truth be known, it was an amusement ride. But it was real to me. It would be as close to a journey to the moon as I would ever come. But it was real to an eight year old boy.
Sometimes, we treat recovery from addiction like that amusement ride I took back in 1960. We go through all the motions of going to meetings.
Reading the big book.
Having an accountability partner and a sponsor.
We memorize all the steps and can quote them at the drop of a hat.

But because our heart hasn't become engaged in the process....
Because we are merely going through the motions physically but not engaged spiritually...
we are no closer to a real life of sobriety than I was to the moon when I climbed aboard that ride.

I don't want a life that is plastic and fake and just appears to be doing well.
I want the real-deal life that only Jesus, the true Higher Power, can give to me.
I want Him to do for me what I could not do for myself.

I love the verse from II Corinthians 12, where the apostle Paul is talking about his struggles and how he is so tired from the fight that he wants to give up. God speaks to Paul and tells him...."My grace is all you need My power works best in you weakness." SO now I am glad to boast about my weakness, so that Power of Christ may work through me.

Don't settle for a fake recovery. One that is merely a game played to appease those around you.
Lay hold of the real deal.
Lay hold of this Jesus and let Him lay hold of you....

It will be the journey of a lifetime.

God on you..

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...