Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Four False Beliefs



be·lief
biˈlēf/
noun
  1. 1.
    an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
    "his belief in the value of hard work"


  2. 2.
    trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.
    "a belief in democratic politics"

One of the cornerstone of recovery for us is what we refer to as the "Four False Belief's".  A world view or belief system that has been adopted by an individual and governs the way the interact and make decisions.

False Belief # 1
I must meet certain standards in order to feel good about myself.

Sounds innocent enough doesn't it?
Well, what happens when all you've ever done is fail?
What happens to your thinking if you never measure up to standards that you or others have set for you? Now, throw in some drugs and alcohol on a daily basis and the failures grow and multiply. This false belief will cause you to not even try anymore. After all, why should you? You fail at everything. This is one of the obstacles we create in our own hearts and minds when we succumb to the spiritual, mental and physical darkness of addiction.

False Belief #2
I need the approval of others to feel good about myself.

In this case, our own self worth is so low that we seek to manipulate those around us to tell us how wonderful we are. We thrive on their opinion. We bask in their adulation. And when we don't receive it, we wither and die inside. We have created an equation to define who we are.

Person = Performance
We have bought into a lie that who we are, as person, is defined by what we have done (Our behavior / or our performance). Looking at our track record, we haven't done too well, have we? Yet, most of us were raised to gauge ourselves this way. When we were small, and we did something really nice for our Mother's......Mom would tell us, "Oh my you are a good boy!" But turn that around. Maybe we broke her favorite vase or some of her good china. What did we hear? "You're a bad boy."  So we slowly build a belief system that told us our worth comes from what we have done. Not simply from who we are.

I see a number of people who continue to live like this.
Who even try to serve God this way......
"If I do good...the Jesus will love me!"
or....
"How can Jesus love me, I am a total mess up."
To counter this false belief, we have to address the issue or our person. Salvation puts me in the place where God sees me as perfect.
Hebrews 10:14 - For by one offering, He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

Did you catch that?
"He has perfected."
Not "He will perfect" nor  "He is in the process of perfecting."
But has perfected.
So when God see me, He sees my person/spirit as being perfect because of the blood of Jesus.
Is my behavior/ performance perfect?
Nope!
But we're working on it.

I will continue tomorrow with the False Belief # 3 and #4.
God on you..
mb

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YES! YES! YES!!!!

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...