Thursday, April 3, 2014

Come And Die



There are very few books that I read over and over in an ongoing basis.
Of course the Bible is one that tops my "to read" list.
Watchman Nee's "Spiritual Authority" is another. Given to me by a friend when I was ordained, it has provided much needed direction in times of conflict with authority. It helps me to keep my mind focused on what is important, and my need to submit to the authorities over me.
But probably the one book, other than scripture, that has influenced me the most is Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "Cost Of Discipleship."

To some, Bonhoeffer is seen as a religious zealot whose ideas of how to live this life as a follower of Jesus are too far fetched and beyond the reach of common every day folk. Well, truth be known...his ideas are beyond the reach of common every day folk. That is why Jesus calls us to come and follow Him and die.
Die to self....
Die to the this world....
Die to religion.....
But be resurrected to new life to a relationship.
Seems to me that the message being preached today is come and figure out a way to take Jesus and make Him work in your current lifestyle. Oh you might put up a religious painting or two....keep a Bible out in plain view for others to see when they come to visit. You may even say grace at mealtime. But deep inside, there is a part of you that you are not willing to let Jesus have. You are not willing to turn over that last vestige of self. Self control....self will........self seeking....you are not willing to let go of that little part. And you argue with God's Holy Spirit when conviction comes on you for thinking such. "Come on! I've given every thing else. I don't watch R movies....I don't frequent the old hangouts I use to. I am not going to surrender this part. There will be nothing left of me if I do."  As Bonhoeffer writes, "All along the line we are trying to evade the obligation of single-minded literal obedience." Do we not realize that this arguing about following the call of Christ is one of the devil's most dastardly weapons. He is encouraging us to keep throwing up objections to Jesus leading...and we will escape the necessity of being obedient.

Bonhoeffer goes on to say, "When you are disobedient, you are trying to keep some part of your life under your own control. That is the very thing that is preventing you from listening to Christ and believing in his grace. You cannot hear Christ because you are willfully disobedient."

Now, for me, I believe that obedience is an ongoing work. Once we make the decision to turn will and life over to the care of Jesus.....we begin to learn how to follow Him. But obedience must be the hallmark of this new life we have received. The moment that self steps back into the picture, we have taken a side trail off the path we are being lead down. We revert to a Genesis 3 mindset...."If I eat the fruit, I'll be like God....If I'm like God........then I DON"T NEED GOD!!!"  Such is why, in Mark 9:23, Jesus tells the crowd that anyone who wishes to come after Him must deny themselves and take up their cross daily."  Don't you know such was offensive to that crowd listening to Jesus that day. The cross! It was a part of every day life in Jerusalem, as daily men were paraded through streets only to be taken away and hung on their cross.

That "daily taking up of our own cross" is a reminder that when we receive the call to follow Jesus...we are called to come and die. Die to our old nature, our old ways, our old thinking.
Such is the foundation for new life.
Such is the foundation for recovery.

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...