Saturday, April 12, 2014

VRC One Year Anniversary


John 21:19
......and when He had spoken this, He said to him, "Follow Me."

"Following in His Steps".....is the mission statement for Vineyard Recovery Church. We have no other purpose than this. For His steps lead to life...real life...life that is free from the bondage of addiction. 

Jesus is the way. There are no shortcuts or "easier softer ways". But in the beauty and mystery of this new relationship we encounter when we turn will and life over to His care, He gives us a set of disciplines to walk out. His Steps......so to speak. In one sense, it's like learning how to live all over again. We are learning new ways to think...new ways to make decisions....new ways to communicate what is going on inside of us...emotionally....spiritually...mentally...and physically.

Tonight is the one year anniversary of Vineyard Recovery Church.
Has it really been a year? 
We've seen a lot over the past 52 meetings. People saved. People healed. People awakened to the fact that they can participate in Kingdom work. Or as John Wimber used to say, "You get to do the stuff!"

This year truly has been God's work. After all, before we held our first meeting, He told me in no uncertain terms that He was going to build this gathering. My job was to stay out of the way. I've been able to do this for the most part. Sometimes I try to help Him out, but you know what? I only seem to mess it up. God is patient and loving and reminds me of what He said..."it's my church!". O.k......o.k.....I get it. 


Our church has never been about seeing how many people we could collect.
It is about influencing those who come. Whether they are there for 7 weeks...or 6 months...whether they make VRC their permanent home or not. I want them to be influence by what they see and hear. Influenced by what the participate in. I want them to go away with the understanding that they have been called by God to be a part of His kingdom. As such, they have a role to play in it.

In the process of holding our meetings, God has put together a core group of 10 people who have become the backbone and prayer support of Vineyard Recovery Church. I am grateful to be connected with these folks. They have a heart to see God move among us. To change us and grow us....stretch us and grow us (sometimes this is very painful, but beneficial). They have a heart and a love for everyone who comes through the door on Saturday night. 

I was thinking back over the first meeting we held. I set out way more chairs than necessary. In my mind, I saw the place packed out...didn't happen.
I think we had 43 that night. A part of me was disappointed because I was trying to measure this new work God was doing, against the old Saturday night meeting we use to lead, House of Blue. In my disappointment, God spoke very lovingly and tenderly...."Michael..I told you it was a new work. You have changed since 2004 (last year we held House of Blue). You have gotten older and hopefully a bit wiser." This was a new work and it could not be compared to anything else I had done in the past. So, over the last year, I have watched as week after week, a brick was put in place as God built our church.

Every Saturday night, the same thing happens.
The meeting is over....
Everything has been cleared away and put up.

Garbage is emptied.
Lights turned off...
I make my way outside and turn for one last look back into that room.....
The same thought comes each week....
"God...you did good. Tonight was so awesome. How are you going to top that next week?"

You know what?
He does.


God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...