Sunday, August 31, 2014

Celebrate We Did



Psalm 100:4-5
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him and bless His name.For the LORD is good. His mercy is everlasting and His truth endures to all generations.

Big shout out and thanks to all the core leadership at Vineyard Recovery Church for taking care of everything last night so Vicki and I could celebrate our 42nd anniversary. And celebrate we did.

Chad, Robin and the grand kids, Tyler and Ashley,Josh and Heather,Vicki's Mother, and Steve and Peggy all gathered in our home last night for the Hoo-ha. Laughter and memories were the main course of the evening, and they were served up in bounteous portions. There was enough for everyone to have seconds. 


Sitting there listening and taking everything in, I was filled with a real sense of gratitude and thankfulness. I was witnessing a true blessing from God. This has been a hard year, emotionally as well as physically, yet here we were, all together. I saw His grace around that table as I looked into the faces of everyone present. I was flooded with the idea of how quick the years get away. I saw back yard football games from the past when the brother's and in-laws use to pound away at each other, celebrating every tackle and exalting every point scored. Then we'd all gather in the kitchen to re-fuel ourselves before the next game started. I could see Vicki and Peggy and the other sister in laws sitting around talking about the kids, how they were doing in school, and what all was going on at work. Usually when the women gathered, they automatically began to plan our next family get together. We were all younger. We had no clue to what the future held, nor did we give much thought about it. I remember that when I was in my twenties and thirties, I never pondered or thought on the fact that one day I would be in my sixties. I knew that I wanted to live a long life, but I never stopped to actually consider what being 62 and 3/4's would look like. But here in our home last night I got a good image of what being 62 and 3/4's not only looks like, but feels like and sounds like.  You know what? It's not too bad. Not bad at all. 

I think maybe I've gained some wisdom somewhere along the way. It didn't just shoot up one morning and I suddenly just "knew" things. But every situation and life circumstance has been an opportunity to learn from my heavenly Father. A chance to grow my faith and learn to trust Him even more than I thought I did. You know, you can construct a whole belief system in your mind, but until it is assaulted by life, you'll never find the truth or the weaknesses in your concept of trust. 

Like I said, last night was a night of gratitude.
42 years with the most incredible woman I've ever known.
42 years of laughter and love.
Of kids now men with kids of their own.
Of their wives becoming a part of our family, and bringing a new level of love and life.

And over it all, has been the hand of God.
Today, I am grateful.

Thank you, Father!

God on you...

mb 

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...