Saturday, February 6, 2016

Things That Go Together



Psalm 85:10
Mercy and truth have me together; Righteousness and peace have kissed.

Things that just naturally go together.....
Peanut butter and jelly....
Ocean and sand......
Fish and chips.....
Bread and butter....

Things that we can relate to in our everyday life.
But the reason I love Psalm 85 verse is the ultimate "going together" all of which stem from God's nature. Rising up to splash over on us from His character. Things that are not naturally found in our world.

Mercy and truth.....
Mercy - God giving me what I don't deserve.....and God keeping from me that which I do deserve. What is it I don't deserve? Salvation....redemption....eternal life with Him. What is it I do deserve? Hell.  God's mercy is everlasting and His compassion's are made new every morning, according to the prophet Jeremiah.


Truth - Not just any truth, but truth that comes from God. I guess you could say that His truth is the ultimate reality. So when God gives His mercy, it is funneled to us as we see ourselves in need of Him. Would that not be reality? I think maybe yes. How could we ever see our real need for God's mercy unless we come to the place of truth....
I have made a mess of things...
I have no power to clean it up or manage my own life.
Oh God, help me...
Do I deserve help? Probably not, because we have used others help to simply skate by and continue on in our destructive path. But when we see ourselves with God's truth, we know that we are in nee of His mercy.


The verse from Psalm 85 goes on to say that "Righteousness and Peace have kissed."
Righteousness...God's nature...
And Peace...the ability to be centered and stable...

Have met in a greeting of intimacy and are now a gift given to us by our heavenly Father when we turn will and life over to His care.
When we allow God's Holy Spirit to work in us (Galatians 5:22-23) we begin to approach life in a new way. We are being changed by the removal of our old character defects, and the imparting of God's very nature and righteousness.
Part of that change involves the ability to trust God in every situation.
The by product of this change is His peace within us.
The mindset and heart set that tell us no matter what we may be facing...
No matter what our situation or circumstance is....
We have the peace of God to stabilize us, and not allow us to go over the edge into the darkness of our emotions and fear...

I'll buy that for a dollar!

So today....
Allow Mercy and Truth to rule your heart....
Allow the Holy Spirit to plant you deep in God's "Right-ness" and Peace shall be the fruit of this choice.

God on you....

mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...