Wednesday, April 4, 2018

What Me Worry?




Matthew 6:25
That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life----whether you have enough food or drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food and your body more than clothing?

Matthew 6:32
These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.

King James version of these verses begins with "DO NOT WORRY"...
Doesn't sound like a suggestion does it?
Doesn't sound like Jesus is telling us that if we get around to it, we might consider not worrying.
Truth be known...
I think worrying is the national pass time around the globe.


So imagine if I couple together two foundational thoughts for our own good.

# 1 - The verses from Matthew 6

and
# 2 - The main concept from A.A. ---- ONE DAY AT A TIME.
A call to embrace our new found recovery head on for this 24 hour period and, at the same time, walk it out in the knowledge and understanding that God has my back. Wowzers!!

That I will face whatever comes my way today, good or bad, with the intent of seeking God's will (Mt. 6:34...seek God's character....and live accordingly, not allowing my actions or thoughts to be dictated to by my old way of thinking. To not allow myself to be driven by society that is defined by the rule of "self", but rather trust the one who has called me into this new way of living and following Him....Jesus!

We (me included) spend way too much time on what might happen. Not saying that we go through life like Pollyanna, and that everything will be sunshine and lollipops, kitty cats and ice cream. But we allow our fear of what might, rather than stand firm in what is, holding onto the hand of our heavenly Father. 

Over in Matthew 7:24-25, we see the correct way to face life in a way that doesn't include "worrying" as the main focus for us.
"Anyone who listens to My teaching AND follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against the house, it won't collapse because it is built on bedrock."

Call me silly, but I think those are the words of Jesus.
If they are then I pretty much believe that we can take them to the bank. I tell you what.....let's try this "not worrying" for one day. Just one day..today. Let's really lay aside our fears, our anxiety and reach out to God crying for Him to invade our thoughts and our hearts so that we can walk in His peace. Let's see how that will play out today, so that when we lay our heads down tonight, we can praise Him with a big old "THANK YOU LORD!" Then tomorrow morning when we get up....
We can do it all over again...

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...