Friday, April 6, 2018

Me Against Time



I Peter 1:24
"All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls away, but the word of the Lord endures forever."

Time...
Can't stop it...
Can't push it forward...

Always moving....right beyond the second we are living in stands the next second which, in reality, is the future.
Each of us has been given a measure of time in which to live our lives.

I was made painfully aware of how time passes last night as I sat at the table with family to celebrate the birthday's of my two grand children.

To my right sat Tyler, my grand son.
He turns 16 today.
Of course like every 16 year old, today will be a rite of passage for Tyler as he goes to get his drivers license. Sixteen? Really? I was holding him in my arms just yesterday.

Next to Tyler sat my grand daughter Ashley. She turned Twelve on Tuesday. Cute as a ladybug with wit to match. Quick with a quip, she can follow, and add to, any crazy story I start talking about. Twelve? Really? 

I am more painfully aware of time at this stage of my life than ever before.
I see others with no regard for time....
For life....
For anything....

That is the cold hard facts of what addiction will do to a body.
It robs the individual of everything worth living for.
What ever life is left is spent chasing a high....a feeling....an illusive empty promise to make life better. Yet the truth is, those who live in such a manner are standing waste deep in the ashes of what life they use to have.

I've seen grown men weep because of what they have done to their children and spouse. Then grow incredibly angry because the family won't take them at their word that this time was going to be different. My advice during such a time was..."They don't want to hear what you have to say....you've got to show them that you've changed." Even with this advice the story didn't always have a happy ending. Sometimes the destruction done to a family was so great, wounds so deep, that healing wasn't possible. 

Realizing that in the concept of time, we truly are like grass that withers and flowers that fade and fall to the ground, should spur us toward the life that Jesus is offering. We're not trying to build a legacy to our time here. We should live what time we have left like the 12th step of the Twelve Steps.

"Having had a spiritual experience as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others and to practice these principals in all our affairs."

I have a call to share with others what God has done for me...to me...and now, hopefully, through me. He did for me what I could not do for myself.
Today is the perfect day to begin this new journey with Jesus.
Now is the perfect time to confess, repent (turn away from) believe by faith that this Jesus I have a tendency to be stuck on in my writings..is real, and that He will do what He has promised to do.

One last thing...
Life doesn't end when we draw our last breath.
That moment is a time of transition from this side of heaven into eternity.

Choices we make now determine our direction and situation once our life has ended.
Think on these things...

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...