Monday, June 18, 2018

Morning Prayer


Psalm 5:3
My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord. In the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up.

Funny thing about prayer and the act of praying.....
We have an innate desire to connect with something or someone greater than us.
This desire is stronger than what we claim we believe.

Let someone find themselves in a situation that is of a serious nature, and I would bet that they would throw up a prayer. They may claim that they don't believe in God. They may claim that they want nothing to do with God. Yet when push comes to shove, there is a whole lot of "Oh God...Oh God...Oh God!" going on. 

If you've been around recovery for any length of time then you are very familiar with the Serenity Prayer. A cry for God to equip us to deal with life. A cry for serenity to accept those things, people, and circumstances we cannot change. A cry for courage to face and change the things we can. To me, the kicker of the Serenity prayer is asking for wisdom to know the difference. This prayer is much more than just flowery words written to make us feel better. It is a declaration that God can do for me what I could not do for myself if I give will and life over to Him. Now that is some kind of prayer. Everyone's situation is different. Everyone faces different problems daily, yet this prayer fits whoever turns to God and prays it.

I've been reading about St. Patrick and his mission and desire to take the good news of Jesus to the Celtic Tribes in Ireland. He wrote a prayer that I think is very appropriate for those who are moving from the darkness of addiction into the light of God's goodness. I'd like to close with this prayer.


I rise today
in power's strength, invoking the Trinity.
Believing in the threeness
confessing the oneness
of creation's Creator.

I rise today
with the power of God to pilot me
God's strength to sustain me
God's wisdom to guide me
God's eye to look ahead of me
God's ear to hear me
God's word to speak for me
God's hand to protect me
God's way before me
God's shield to defend me
God's host to deliver me from the snares of the devil.

Deliver me....
from evil temptations
From nature's failings
From all who wish to harm me,
Far and near, alone or in a crowd


May this be our prayer for this day.....
Just for this day....
One minute at a time...
One moment at a time...

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...