Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Try? No! DO!



Don't live life in the "off" position....
Running around trying to make stuff happen...
Trying to dodge this problem...
Cutting corners to at least give the impression you are truly tying to work a program. Which brings me to my least favorite word of all...TRY.


Every time I hear this word come out of someones mouth ( in the context of working a program, I cringe. It usually follows much discussion as to why a recovery program is necessary for the individual.....then the dreaded word comes forth. "Well, I'll try going to treatment." Really? You'll try. Such is usually code for "I'll go, but it won't be successful." Guess what? You don't "try" treatment! You don't "try" the 12 Steps. You don't "try" a little Jesus in your life. These have proven to be true. these have been proven to work.

My standard reply to such who say that they will "try" was..."No try..Do!" Don't get me wrong, I totally understand where a person is coming from when they say they are going to try. They are basing their future efforts to recover on their past track record of failure. Such thinking always short circuits any effort to break free of addiction. What they fail to realize that in working a program they will deal with all the mess and destruction that has occurred in their life because of the addiction. In fact dealing with the past if all part of moving forward into a new future.

Real recovery (the kind that is accompanied with the power to live) always begins with turning the life-switch into the on position. What happens when you turn a light switch on after entering a dark room? You can see! Well the same thing is needed when moving into recovery. You've lived life in the "off" position for so long...living in a spiritual darkness. You could not see truth. You could not make sound decisions. But when you cry out to God.."Oh God...save me for I am a sinner...help me because I cannot do this on my own....the lights are turned on. For the first time in a long time, you clearly see the pain and destruction you have brought to those around you. Sometimes the very sight of this is enough to cause some to turn the lights back off and stay in that dark place.

Psalm 82:5
They do not know, or do they understand. they walk about in darkness. All the foundations of the earth are unstable.

Isn't the verse above true when it comes to defining a life of addiction? All the foundations of the earth are unstable. Life lived in spiritual darkness is a life lived on the shifting sands of uncertainty, chaos, and doubt. Truth is, that isn't life at all. It is merely existing.

Coming to the ultimate truth and reality that Jesus is the missing piece to my recovery, we can truly embrace and take for ourselves the words He has spoken. Consider His words to be a comparison between life under the bondage of addiction, and life under His care.

John 10:10
The thief (the devil) does not come except to STEAL, KILL and to DESTROY. I, Jesus, have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Sounds to me like there are only two choices available.
I think I might lean toward Jesus...
But that is just me...

You decide.

God on you....
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...