Monday, June 5, 2023

"I THINK"-----"I FEEL"

 


Hebrews 13:14 - For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come.

One of the blessings that God has given to me is that I am surrounded by godly people. People who are locked down to the mandates and dictates of this world. By that I mean that they don't embrace what culture or society deems as being right. Oh they don't runaround looking to tear down the establishment, they do to work each day.......they go out to dinner with other friends. But behind the movements we see in their every day lives is a struggle. A fight to stay true to God and reject the wants and desires of their own flesh. Seeking God's rule and reign in their personal lives, yet at the same time giving away what has been freely given to them by God.

Two phrases that sum out our society today are  (#1) "I feel"...and (#2) "I think". Feelings are deceptive. Feelings can tell me that this life struggle is too hard and I need to go back to using my drug of choice. What's even worse is the phrase "I think".......Which means I am the judge and jury over my own choices. This kind of life style or way of dealing with life is best summed up in Proverbs 14:12 - "There is a way that seems right to man but it ends in death." In other words, I can justify my choices and actions because I deemed them to be right.

The very heart of recovery is turning will and life over to the care of God. In other words, I give up my right to choose in order to gain the power that only God can give to lift me out of this addiction. This way of seeing life usually runs contrary to what we want. Here in is the battle. Am I going to push what I want ahead of what God wants? When I do this, I am moving into that slippery slope of relapse. Don't try and run your own life. Seek out God's will today. Study His Word. If you don't know where to begin, I would suggest the book of Proverbs in the Old Testament or the book of John in the New Testament. Before you start reading pray and ask God to open your eyes and mind to see His truth in ways that you never have before. What's more important is that you talk to God daily. Added to this is a need to sit and listen to what God may say. His voice may come in the form of faint thoughts that will float through your mind. Maybe a verse you are reading will stand out from all the others. Pay attention to these things. Let's be about the business of living and not simply marking time till our days are over here on this side of heaven.

God on you...

michael b.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...