Thursday, January 29, 2009

Camels and Needles

Mark 10:24-25
The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

I have pondered this verse for a few days now.
Is it about the failing and traps of being rich?
Is it about seeing the truth that inside every human lies a heart that is easily swayed away from God?
I like how Jesus addressed the disciples.
He called them "children".
I don't read where they took offense at this name.
Would we?
Would we become upset because Jesus referred to us as children? Knowing that he was talking about our maturity in God was the reason he referred to us as children. I think there are probably more out there who think of themselves as being older.......elders....mature in the faith, yet are children.
He isn't speaking of being babies, or even childish, but children. On numerous occasions Jesus spoke of being "like children" when it came to matters of faith. Why? A child simply believes. They look at the world and see possibilities. I look at the world and see darkness. That is why I have to guard my heart to keep it from becoming jaded and hard and myself from becoming cynical.

I see the truth in the verses when I read the paper or listen to news reports.
It's about the money.
It's about the wealth.
It's about the lifestyle associated with money.
Money is the old god of our country.
Sure you need money to live on. But how much is enough. It isn't the money that's the problem, it's the hearts of mankind. Deriving their identity from how much they possess. Looking to money to solve their problems, not realizing that it is the cause of many they suffer with.

How hard it is for those who are rich to enter the kingdom of God.
Don't you find it ironic that they very thing that others find life in (money) won't get them into the kingdom of God?
What's in your heart?

God on you.......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...