Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Total Disconnect

Do you have a hard time connecting what you read about God in Scripture with your everyday life?
Do you find it difficult to "see" the God you read about in your circumstances or situations?
I know many who are like this.
Could it be that our view or concept of God isn't who He really is at all? I think the answer may be yes.
Understanding who God is isn't a mental exercise.
It isn't us exerting our will to find, seek out and uncover some great hidden truth.
Understanding God comes one day at a time. Sometimes one moment at a time.
It is us walking out today under his guidance. Notice I said guidance and not leading.
John 16:13 paraphrased shows us this: When the Holy Spirit comes into our lives, He will guide you into all truth. Most people agree with this verse. Trouble comes with what we do once we are guided there. Do we simply acknowledge this truth or do we set about with a purpose to let God work in us to make the truth a reality? You see, when we are guided into truth, the truth usually concerns us and the work God wants to do in us. We see our hearts as God sees us. We see all the attitudes, the sin, the behaviors that we carry around and yet, covering it all, God's truth is proclaiming God's ability to free us from these things.

If we are faithful with the little things, He will entrust to us the bigger things. Faithful with the truth that we are given today. Do we let this truth spur us onward to chase Jesus or do we simply give a nod of the head to it? It's kind of like some people we see in working in recovery. Step #1 says that we "admit that we are powerless over our drug or alcohol and that our lives have become unmanageable." We see people admit this over and over and over, yet they are not willing to do anything about it. They spoke the truth........."My life is a mess and I'm an addict." Yet they were not willing to move on into a better way of living.

Father.......Help me to not run away from your truth that you will show me today. Help me to embrace it and allow you to work in my life. Help me to not usurp your will with my own simply to feed my sin nature, but help me to bow before you and say, "Your will, Lord, not mine."
Amen.......

God on you.........

VERSE OF THE DAY:
John 16:31
Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe?"

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...