Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Shape Up

I Corinthians 9:25-27
All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who misses his punches. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

Our bodies.
Our appetites.
I have come to the conclusion that we are truly called to discipline (duh?) ourselves. I found myself at the doctor a few days ago and as I was sitting there, my mind was stuck on "you have got to control your appetite." Actually the word that came with that thought was "flesh." I have got to control my flesh. I don't think this was me simply thinking that I need to will myself and my appetite to do what I want it to, but I do believe that it was God telling me that it is important for me to bring discipline to an area of my life that I have struggled with for a long time..........my eating.

So after my consultation with the doctor, he explained what I needed to do and the benefits of seeing it through. It will be hard because I have given my appetite everything it has asked for. Even when I knew it was bad for me. It will take great grace from God to see me through this but I believe that is what this is all about.......God's grace. It isn't about me "looking better" or "making my life better" it is simply about bringing under God's grace an appetite that was out of control.

I don't have a low self-esteem problem so loosing weight isn't about "how my life is better and I feel better about myself." It is about God being God over every area of my life. Even those areas that I tried to believe He didn't really care about. Truth is, He does.
So pray for me if you will.
God on you..............
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...