Monday, March 7, 2011

My Red-necked-ness



I grew up in the country.
I mean the country....we lived so far out we had to get a mailman just to mail the mail to us. I was so country that I could cluck a mother hen while she was sitting on her nest, and all the while take every egg she was nesting. That's country.

One of the things that I have grown fond of (Yet I could not see it at the time) is the music that I was surrounded by.
My Mom and Dad were great believers of "all day singing with dinner on the ground."
For those of you who may not have been subjected to such, it involved numerous gospel groups all singing their favorite hymns. The meeting was usually broken up long enough to spread a meal on tables outside. SO during the break, people would visit and share some laughter and prayer amongst themselves.

As a child, this was definitely not my cup of tea.
What's more, my childish rights were violated (at least I felt that way) because Mom and Dad drug yours truly to at least one of these hoo-ha's once a month.

Now that I'm older, I am grateful for such adventures as the "All Day Singing."
I truly appreciate those times and I do know how much pleasure it brought to my Mom and Dad. Truth be know, I am not "Bent" or "Mentally unstable" because I was taken to the singing.
I do love the hymns though.
They resonate deep inside me with an assurance and hope that some of the newer songs do not possess.

I thought I would post this particular song because it is one of my favorites.
It was also one of my Dad's favorites also.
Enjoy...
and don't forget to say "Yahooooo!" at some point during the song.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...