Thursday, March 3, 2011

STEP # 12
Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.



Studying in John 21 this morning.
The encounter between Jesus and Peter there on a beach, days after Jesus' resurrection.

Jesus asks Peter three times, "Do you love me?"
Peter responds with "You know I do, Lord."
Jesus then gives Peter a command....."Tend my Lambs."
Lambs....
The babes..the ones that are new to relationship with the higher Power we call Jesus.
Take care of them and lead them. Tell them about this new life you have found and are now living.
As Jesus said......"Tend to them."

This is the heart of Step #12---Having had a spiritual awakening.....
Now our hearts and minds and spirits are alive and awake. Ready to take in whatever God would send our way...today.
More than just taking it in, we want to give away what has been poured out on us.
We want to comfort those who are afflicted with the comfort that has been given to us.

A friend of mine told me about his first AA meeting.
He went drunk.
He was desperate and did not know what to do.
He was at the end of his rope and knew that he needed help to stop drinking.
As my friend told his story to me, he smiled. "You know, I can't tell you what was said at that first meeting I attended. I don't remember who spoke or who chaired the meeting. All I remember was someone met me at the door and got me a cup of coffee and some cookies and invited me to come and sit with them.
They showed me love before they told me anything about how to quit drinking."
Carrying the message of AA is more than just telling your story. IT is living your story in front of someone who is still trapped in the bondage of alcoholism or drug addiction. It is physically giving them an example that it can be done. A person need not be weighed down by all the toxic emotions that addiction places on them.

Jesus basically told Peter....."Hey Pete...if you love me, then show it by taking care and teaching others."
We seek to take the message to others.......

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...