Saturday, July 2, 2011

Watermelon Christians





What kind of Christian are you?
What kind of Watermelon Christian are you?
You can tell a lot about a person by the way they eat watermelon.
Me?
I one of those types who dive in when watermelon is served.
I don't flick out the seeds with my fork (We don't need no stinkin' forks to eat watermelon with) . That is why God created spitting. Spit them seeds out. Hey...make a game of seed spitting. Who can spit one the farther than anyone in the group?
I get juice on my face. I savor the moment and the flavor as the melon fills my mouth.
Some people hold their watermelon away from themselves so as not to let the juice get on them. If they break off a piece to eat, they usually hold it between two fingers so as not to let the juice run down their hands. They lean over and bend at the waist, filling their mouth's with small bites of melon.

I guess you could say that I'm a slob when it comes to melon eating.
I don't care if the juice gets on me. I can always wash off later.
What does this have to do with anything?
Well, some folks want to experience God the same way they eat watermelon. They want to be in his presence.....see him work....they just don't want to get the juice (Holy Spirit) on themselves or in them. They are prim and proper in their Christianity never wanting anyone to see them in any other fashion. The idea that God would come and undo them, uncover them and leave them open and undone is terrifying to them. They digest God is small portions, as if this were something to be proud of. They cry and "praise God!" when someone gets saved or rededicates their life, but don't ask them to go to the altar for prayer. People might think something was wrong with them. Don't get that melon juice on you.....

You know...I figure if God is a complete God, then I should be a complete follower. By that, I mean that I should have nothing to hide from God or others (Like I could hide something from God). I am grateful that God is not a slacker when it comes to dealing with me. I do not want to get away with anything. This is part of what I call "The world's most dangerous prayer". I use it at Rapha all the time, including myself when I pray it.
"Lord......don't let us get away with anything. Uncover us at every turn."
Whatever God does, He does completely.
He saves us 100 %....not 99.9 %
He heals us 100%......not 33 1/3%
He forgives us 100%....not 50%
So why should I hold back anything as I follow after God?
Why not just become totally fanatical about Him and His Kingdom?
We are fanatics about football and NASCAR.
We are completely bonkers over movie stars and singers.
So why not simply go "Fruit-loops" for God!

I Peter 5:5 reads:
"God sets himself against the proud..but he gives grace to the humble."
Don't let pride keep you from enjoying the fullness of God (Or some good watermelon).
Don't let pride keep you from receiving from God.
Let the grace of God flow over you and in you as you simply agree with God who God says you are.
"That right Father...I am a seed-spitting...juice dripping...watermelon loving...child of yours."
I do love God....

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...