Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Seeking A Connection


There is an unspoken division among people that looks at the 12 steps as being only for people in addiction. I've heard many a person (good, well meaning folks) distance themselves from the 12 steps because they can't see the truth behind them. "Oh that is for someone who is a drunkard or a drug addict." Really? To me the nature of all addiction is a matter of the heart. The outward behavior is only a symptom of what's wrong on the inside.
Take Step # 11 for instance. How can you look at this step and say that it only applies to someone who is trying to recovery from using?
Step # 11 - We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry it out.
Would this not be for everyone who claims to be a follower of Christ? I think maybe yes it is. I love the phrase "improve our conscious contact"...how many actually make this a priority in their daily lives? Maybe we should take this truth and apply it to our lives.
we read in Psalm 25:4-5 ---"Show me the right path, O Lord; Point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you. Sounds like Step # 11 to me.
I want to close today with the Step # 11 prayer:
"My Creator, I am now willing that You should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me, every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding."
Like a good friend of mine as always said, "You can't do the steps and not bump your head on the cross."
God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...