Thursday, March 29, 2018


I can't tell you the number of people who ask me why I "do" church on Saturday night.
In the beginning (back in 1998) I was told that no one would come.
Saturday night was a time to relax after a hard week.
My reply was simple.
God told me to have the meeting on Saturday night.


#1- Saturday night is usually associated as a "party" time. Sure the bars are open during the week...but things get a little more raucous, the crowd a little more loud on Saturday night.

#2 - Night time provides a cover of darkness for the deeds that come from the heart. 

I say this all the time, and I'm not sure how many believe me. What we did on Saturday night with the House of Blue, and what we currently do with VRC has never been about numbers. Oh listen....when House of Blue was up and running, the numbers were off the charts..............We thought we were the hot spot for Christianity. We were cutting edge...we were out front. Come to find out, God had a different idea. Turns out that House of Blue was about training us (the core leadership group) on how to minister. How to effectively pray for people. We learned a lot of lessons, both good and bad, during out time on Saturday night.

I took those lessons to Rapha in 2004 when I went on staff as the pastor. In 2006 we started the Church@Rapha, and continued on until 2013. Here again God surrounded me with some good people who were led to join me.

February of 2013, during a prayer time, I felt the tug to return to Vineyard to continue a recovery-style meeting. God had a different idea. He wanted a recovery church. But before we came back, He laid down some ground rules for us to follow.


# 1- This was His meeting, not anyone else.

# 2 - I was to stay out of the way. In fact, it wasn't about me. In other words, I didn't have to be the up front guy. I would see and collect a group of people who could share the vision of what God was wanting to do. God has graced us with some pretty incredible people who speak on Saturday night. Seth Barber, Todd Bagley, Debbie Handy, my wife Vicki, Barry Hooks, and Greg Birdwell. All of these have come to offer their understanding of God and the message He wants to deliver.

# 3 - This is the one that caught me off guard. VRC's Saturday night meeting would never be a large group, so I was to get any thoughts of House of Blue out of my head. That was a hard one to do, and to be honest with you I still, from time to time, struggle with it. I think the highest number of folks we have had since we've come back is 62. Usually the crowd ranges from 13 to 30. What I have found is that the intimacy of a small group is very important in helping those who come feel like they can open up and share what is on their heart. 

So...on April 14th, we will celebrate our 5th anniversary of Vineyard ReCovery Church. Doesn't seem like 5 years, but hey..you know what they say about when you're having fun.
I did bring one thing with to VRC from the House of Blue period. Wayne Wimpee, a good friend and part of our leadership, brought me a scripture during the early days of House of Blue. It has become the cornerstone for our time and our church. I would like to leave you today with the scripture.

Psalm 134
Behold, bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord who by night stand in the house of the Lord! Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and bless the Lord. The Lord who made heaven and earth, bless you from Zion!

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...