Monday, March 26, 2018

Beware What You Declare


We call it the last supper....
Jesus and the disciples, gathered to celebrate Passover....
He knows that one of them is going to betray him on this night...
He knows which one it will be....

"Now as they were eating, He said, "Assuredly , I say to you, one of you will betray Me."

And they were exceedingly sorrowful, and each of them began to say to Him.."Lord, is it I?"


What do you think? Was there a cloud of guilt in the air. Did Jesus' statement cause each man to stop and think..."Have I done something that would point Jesus to me?" That had to be a moment of tension as each disciple looked at the man on either side of himself. "I know that it isn't me...what about these others."

Go on down a few verses in Matthew 26, and you'll find Peter's reply to Jesus telling him that he would deny Him three times before the rooster crowed. Peter's reply reveals some truth that I think we all need to come to grips with.

Peter answered and said to Him, "Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble."

Now we would consider such a reply to be noble...
We would look at Peter as being a steadfast man who verbalized a heart that loved Jesus. But look at Peter's choice of worlds. " I will never be made to stumble."  Made to stumble?  Flash forward to the time after Peter's denial there in the courtyard as Jesus' trial is going on. He wasn't made to stumble. Peter chose to deny Jesus. When confronted with being associated with Christ, Peter, fearing his own death, chose to deny Jesus.


We shouldn't be too hard on old Pete.
We may have acted in the same manner. I glad that the story doesn't end with Peter's denial...his desertion of Jesus. I'm glad that there is a continuation of Peter's story as well as the rest of the disciples in Acts 2. When the Holy Spirit came in fullness. When these frail men rose up to be the caretakers of a young church that was birthed on that day. Men who once ran away at the darkest hour, now moved down a path that ended with their own death for following Jesus. 


Maybe I need to stay parked on these verses from Matthew 26, looking at my own life....the call Christ has given me....and the path I am following. Believe you me..I do not want to make bold statements of what I will and will not do for Jesus.
Think on these things...

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...