Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Get Away.....Do.....Seek....Chase


Psalm 34:14
Depart from evil and do good. Seek peace and pursue it.

You'll probably be reading this post on Tuesday, March 27th. But in fact, I am writing it on the 26th at 3:16 in the afternoon. A lot could happen between now and the 27th. Truth is, all I have is today. I have to take care of today. I have to face whatever life throws at me. I do not have the luxury to run away from my problems. Tried that in the past and it didn't work. Even went as far as trying to ignore them....but it really was like trying to ignore an elephant in the room. No matter how hard you try to convince yourself that the elephant isn't there, you still smell peanuts.

Part of dealing with life's problems is to make sure that you are on the right "path" or "track" where God can lead you. Sometimes we get off in the ditch and have no desire to get back on the road, but we cry out to God to show us the way. Well, the way isn't found in the ditch. Bible Study over at Gadsden Transitional House this morning was a good time. As I spoke, I looked around the room at the faces of the men present. Some were extremely sleepy from having worked third shift. Others were awake and attentive wanting to hear something that would help them as they moved out of addiction into recovery.  Still others had a blank look on their faces as if to declare, "I'm just here, so don't expect much from me."

It's all about a change of heart...
It's all about repenting to Christ and turning from your old ways.
Some have no problem repenting....
They've done it a million times. It's the turning from old ways that is the catch. I'm not sure if they don't want to, or don't know how to. But to actually change is something that seems to elude them.
But confession and repentance...and faith to believe that Jesus is who He claims to be...turning will and life over to His care is where the real change takes place.

There were some present at the Bible study that I had not seen in a while. Got a chance to talk, catch up...
Hopefully I was able to encourage them to push on in this journey we call recovery.
But truth be known...
If Christ isn't leading...
If Jesus isn't the focus...
If salvation has not taken place...
Then chances are slim to none of ever breaking free.
Not saying that sobriety isn't possible, but I would think that a person would want more than simply being sober. I would think that life.....real life...abundant life....not to mention eternal life, would be the ultimate goal.
Sobriety is a by product of being saved.

The verse from Psalm 34 calls us to seek peace.....pursue it.....chase it down....sounds to me like such calls for an expenditure of my own time, energy, willingness and effort. Is peace such a big thing? I would say yes. The peace spoken of in the Psalm passage is an inside peace that God will grant you.
Peace to be able to stand when the storm winds of life seek to destroy you. Peace that will not be moved when everything around is falling apart and crumbling. One last point. The verse from the Psalm calls for us to "depart" from evil. Move away from it. Change neighborhoods and don't have evil as your next door neighbor. The first part of this pursuing of peace is to depart from evil and all the influence it has over you.

I guess I've said enough for this time....
I will think on these things, asking God to show me what I need to do.
Until the next time...........
God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...