Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Steps.....Not Shoes


Ahhhh....the Mysteries of God.
Those tidbit's of divine information that always seem to be just out of reach. Always there nearby but unknowable. Or so we think.
We like the idea of mysteries. For some, such is the excuse for not chasing and following after Jesus. "Well, it's a mystery as to why my life has turned out like it has. I go to church and I have a big honkin' Bible I carry around. Even watch the Billy Graham Crusade program every now and then. But you know what....I just can't seem to quit drinking. I think the Good Lord won't hold me accountable for when I beat my wife and kids. It ain't my fault, it's the liquor talking. But I do love Jesus."  

Now to me, that is the mystery. How we could be so God-dumb to think that such behavior is acceptable. If it isn't acceptable in society, then what makes us think that God will wink at it and turn away? Don't think that I've made up that little scenario either. I've had this conversation on more than one occasion. The guy standing there with this really dumb look on his face thinking that I'm buying his load of bull. So what does God expect of us? Well, here goes. And guess what? It really isn't a mystery after all.


I Peter 2:21
For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in HIS STEPS.

Notice what it doesn't say....
"Follow in His shoes"......
When I was a little boy, I was fascinated by my dad's shoes. They were like something that belonged to a giant. I still have a photo of my standing in my dad's boots. They almost swallowed me up, but there I am grinning like it's nobodies business. I have this "Hey look at me! I'm just like my dad" look on my face. Even though my feet were firmly planted in those boots, I couldn't move or walk. I had to do a sort of jump/stumble fall down kind of shuffle to move around the room. 

Jesus never told us to "Follow In His Shoes"..... But rather, in His steps.

He knew that we were incapable of filling his shoes...
To believe that we ever could makes us believe in the oldest lie in the world. The one the serpent told Eve in the Garden. "God knows that if you eat the fruit, your eyes will be opened and you will be like God."  What's the real message behind the message? Eat the fruit and be like God. Guess what? If I'm like God, then I won't need God."  

When I try to follow in His shoes, I'm in control. I decide which way I should go. When I follow in His Steps, I simply walk the same direction that He is leading me. 

Following after Jesus involves communication, not guess work. He has blessed us with such communication that we never should wander from the path He has laid out before us.
1.) His Word -  He has given us explicit instruction on how to live life here in a fallen world that is ruled and dominated by sin. If I don't study ( did you catch that? Study, not read) His word, then how can I know what to do when I'm faced with a situation, or find myself in a less than desirable circumstance? Some view the Bible as an outdated history book when, in fact, it is as relevant today as when it was written. I have always loved John Wimber's take on the Bible. "IF it isn't a practical book that teaches us how to live our lives, then why study it." 

2.) Prayer -  This is more than me simply filling up the air with words, all sent skyward in hopes that there is someone out there listening. While even the most vile person will at some point in their life, utter a prayer, the hard part for most is to believe that God not only hears, but will talk back. Yes Virginia, God does speak. Why would we be stirred to talk with Him, if He wasn't stirred to talk back? Doesn't make sense to me. Somehow we get the idea that God is like W.C. Fields sitting up in heaven. You know it's hard work keeping the cosmos going....so with that Fields voice, God speaks when our prayers come before Him..."Get away from me kid, you bother me!". Well, my God doesn't act in that manner. In fact, my God loves to hear from me, and I totally love to hear from Him.

So we determine in our minds and hearts to follow in Steps, rather than putting on shoes.
Think on these things today.....
God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...