Monday, April 6, 2015

Easter Plus One


Psalm 105:103
Oh, give thanks to the LORD! Call upon His name. Make known His deeds among the peoples! Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him. Talk of His wondrous works! Glory in His holy name. let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the LORD!

Easter has come and gone, but the reality of why we celebrate is still hanging over us each and every day. If you are a follower of Jesus, then His resurrection should be woven throughout the very fabric of your life. It should always be a reminder that the life you have been called to is not one that is natural to this world. In other words, The cross....The tomb....His ascension ....should always be the fuel that moves you forward daily. 

Easter isn't something that we take out each year, dust off and set it up to remind us of an event that took place two thousand plus years ago. It the starting point each day that should answer the question that we face as we prepare to start our day..."Who is Jesus to me?" You see, this isn't a question that can be answered by book answer. It is THE question that truly defines my life. Who is Jesus to me? I know that theologically, He is the one called the Messiah....the Christ. I know that He came to earth and died to pay the price of my sin so that I could have eternal life with God the Father, God the Holy Spirit, and with Him. To me, the answer to the question, "Who is Jesus to me?" is found in the way I live my life. Not according to a man-derived set of rules and regulations, but in the freedom that comes in a relationship. One that is driven by my love for Him. If I love Him, then I am going to live in such a way that brings pleasure to Him. Not because I have to.......but because I'll want to.


I don't think Christ has called us to a life of apathy and complacency. Neither do I believe that He has called us to a a life of hyper-spiritual zealousness. There is that radical place in the middle where we live out our commitment to Him and to the Kingdom of God each and every day. We get up and go to work every day, secure in the knowledge that every person we meet is a potential divine appointment to share our story with.  To reach out and say to them, "Can I pray for you?" You know it's a really funny thing when it comes to asking someone if you can pray for them. I've never had  anyone tell me "NO! Don't pray for me". Usually they are kind of taken back that someone cared enough to ask. I like the radical middle...I can find and follow God from that place. I don't have to have all the answers. I don't have to look or act spiritual or religious. I get to be me. The real me. The goofy-kind-of-off-center me that is just crazy enough to believe this Jesus is real, and that He will do what He has promised He would do. 

So now that we are at Easter + one...don't take it, Easter, and wrap it back up in colored cellophane to sit back up on the shelf until next year. Let the reality of it get all down in your spirit. Find gratitude today no matter what life is handing you. Gratitude that God sent His best to die for us, humanities worst, so that we could be changed and brought into relationship with Him.

Guess what?
He is still risen!


God on you..
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...