Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Divine Accounting


Philippians 3:7-8
But what things were GAIN to me, these I have counted LOSS for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things LOSS for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for who I have suffered the LOSS of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ.

Powerful statement, in view of today's notion of what a follower of Jesus is.
Today we measure it by church attendance, giving, and how many things participate in at church..
Paul, in Philippians, measured it by what he once thought was important, but found it to be pure garbage. That Paul........he's something else isn't he? Just messed it up for everybody.

I guess you could say that he was good at divine accounting...
You know...

Balancing out the debits and credits of life...
Taking a spiritual "Step #4" inventory to see what was truly important.
Much to his surprise, Paul discovered that Jesus was all that mattered.
Not how much money he did or did not have...
Not how other people viewed him....
Not whether or not he had the latest fashions, newest sneakers, or the latest phone.

Paul said that everything he once thought was valuable and of great importance has now been surpassed by something even greater.

Something that took place inside his heart and mind...
The Holy Spirit showing him that real life is found in knowing Jesus.
Not knowing Him through intellectual understanding...
But through the daily interaction that comes from this relationship that has been afforded to each of us.

Paul said that everything else in life could not measure up to Jesus.
THAT is what I want!

THAT is the type of relationship I want!
To weigh my past against the promises of God and truly see and understand that it is no contest. The past looses.
I want to be like Paul, when he wrote..."I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."  Such is not something a person can work up in themselves by their own strength and understanding. It comes only as the Holy Spirit works in the human heart and mind. 

Paul also wrote...."Not that I have already attained, or am perfect, but I press on that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me." Right there in that statement, we see the truth of real life. Jesus has to lay hold of me first. There is a sudden awareness of my sin....my destruction....and a clear view of life after death if I were to continue on this dark path. In other words, it doesn't matter how I live my life now...if I do so without ever coming to Christ to be saved....If I do so by rejecting Jesus' offer of real life, then my life after I die will be one of misery that is beyond comprehension.



I like the quote in the photo above....
Don't stay stuck on the same page....
Don't keep riding the insanity train that only goes in circles...
Answer Jesus' call to new life and leave the darkness of your past.

Let Jesus write the next chapter in your life and see what is truly possible.
It may take a turn that you didn't see coming....
One that awakens you to the incredible love your heavenly Father has for you.


God on you....
michael b.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...