Monday, November 9, 2015

VRC Recap


I Corinthians 1:2
I am writing to God's church (in corinth, to you who have been called by God to be his own holy people. He made you holy by means of Christ Jesus.

Every Saturday night at VRC is an adventure.
We never know who is going to show up...
What needs they may have....
Or how the evening will turn out.
So we open the door, after much prayer, and say, "Come Lord and do your work in us, and among us."

Saturday night did not disappoint.

We had five who had never visited with us before, so the model we use for church was new to them.
After the service, one of our visitors, a young girl, came forward to talk to me. You could tell that she was excited about the meeting. But the most telling thing that she said, is what I strive for each week. "I understood what you were teaching." That was, and is, payday for me. To keep the Gospel message of Christ simple and not complicate it with big words, or concepts. 

I really don't have to work too hard at it. Kind of comes natural. Why? Because I view the Gospel as something simple to grasp. Jesus is the answer to every problem we have as humans. 

I spoke Saturday night from Exodus 16, the scripture where God provides manna (bread) for the former slaves who have been delivered from Egypt. The message, boiled down, was simple. "Do what God instructs us to do." 

Isn't that the heart of following Jesus?
We get up every morning, and we should have one simple thought that sets the tone for our day. "I am powerless, and I need to follow this POWER greater than myself." From this truth, I move through my day, always on the look out for "ME" trying to take back control to run my life.


All of this resonated in the heart of this young girl, who had come to talk with me after the service.

She loved the worship.
She loved the interaction that took place as I taught.

She loved the meeting.
Will she be back next Saturday?
I don't know.
But I do know this. She took away a "Jesus" seed with her when she left Saturday night. And if I know anything, those "Jesus" seeds are good seed, and they will produce fruit at the given time.


Every Saturday night, we set a table, of sorts, for people to eat from. They come through the door with a preconceived notion of what church is and how it operates. Because of this notion, sometimes they come in with their guards up, not willing to receive. But because we, VRC, doesn't fit that bill, the guards come down and they are open to hearing and receiving what God is saying. 

Is VRC the better way of doing church?
No.

We're just a different flavor that God uses.
Always remember...
Different doesn't mean better....

It just means different.

God on you..

michael b

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...