Tuesday, November 3, 2020

DISCOUNT? REALLY?

 


Everybody loves a bargain. It gives us the feeling that we are getting something for less than the real value of the item we want. We are getting something that is important to us, but we are not paying the full price for it. Like I said, everybody loves a discount.

We have discount stores where (supposedly) every thing is marked down right there for us to scarf up and rush to the checkout so we can make our get away. In fact, part of human nature is to tell your friends about the "discount" you got, and how you didn't have to pay full price.

Reckon how we would feel if Jesus had operated in the same manner when it came to our salvation? What if Jesus was all about offering discounted grace, mercy, love and relationship? Would we want a discounted Jesus?

Part of what I'm trying to say is that maybe we don't realize the value of who Christ truly is. Maybe we don't find value in learning how to "listen" and then act upon what He tells us. Maybe we want a Jesus that we can control, pulling Him out to perform when life gets hard. That would be a discount Jesus. Some may proclaim me to be wrong in my assumption. Truth is, I have had to search my own heart to see what I truly believe in this relationship I have with Him.

I don't want to be like the Samaritan woman at the well who was having a conversation with Jesus. In her mind, it the topic was water. You know....the wet, liquid stuff that sustains life. But Jesus was talking about something far greater. In fact, in John 4:10 Jesus lays out to her what is truly going on in this conversation the two of them are having.

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water."

The woman did not see the value in the man she was talking to. But isn't this just like Jesus........He didn't scold her, or call her names. He spoke truth to her about what He had to offer. So I guess if I could say anything today. Don't settle in your mind or your heart for a discounted Jesus. Ask for the real deal Christ....and He will come to you.

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...