Monday, December 21, 2020

STRANGE NIGHT SATURDAY


 Psalm 91:3 - For He will rescue you from every trap............

Saturday night was one of those rare nights when you very much aware that God is in control. I had come to our meeting with a message prepared (pretty good one too,even if I say so myself). During our worship time, I was sitting with my eyes closed when out of nowhere a thought comes to my mind. "PSALM 91".  
Nothing more than those two words....Psalm 91. 

I am definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I've been at this long enough to know when something comes with that kind of clarity, and that kind of "loudness" to my mind, I better take a look at it. So, laying aside what I had prepared, I took my Bible and turned to Psalm 91.

Over the course of this last year, especially since February, I have felt the need to point all my teachings toward "growing up and becoming mature in Christ". Being a recovery church, I have seen way too many people get clean and sober and think that is the end of the journey. Truth is, sobriety is only a small part of this journey in Christ. It only affords us the mental and spiritual capability to learn how to deal with life and not run away.

The part of Psalm 91 that really caught my attention was the eight words I started this posting with from verse 3. "For He will rescue you from every trap". First off it tells me that there are things out there they possibly may be hidden that I am not aware of. Traps designed to stop me in my sobriety journey. Traps designed to do me harm, discredit my new found relationship with Christ. Traps that want to lay hold of me and keep me bound up. But verse 3 tells me.....no! It promises me that Christ will rescue me from every trap.

Maybe I'm stretching this, but here's the way I see it. If we have been saved to new life, then we are called to follow Christ (Luke 9:23). If I am following Christ, then how are we aligned? He is in front, and I am directly behind Him. That means that He sees the traps before I do. He knows where they are, and will warn me before I get there. He will point out where the trap is, as well as what kind of trap. My part is to simply follow His lead. I don't think this verse is to be taken lightly or discounted for any reason. I truly believe such is a hard fact of the heart of God.

It goes on to say in verse 4 - "His faithful promises are your armor and protection". His promises keep me from falling into places, danger, and with others who mean to bring harm to me. Maybe I need to spend some time studying the promises of God. 

I know this wasn't a Christmas posting today, but I felt that someone needed to read this. Keep watch on each other during this holiday season. Let's be there for one another. Let's gather together next Saturday night and see what God would show us.

God on you....

Merry Christmas from Vicki and Michael----The "B's" in Attalla

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...