Monday, January 3, 2022

THE LORD "IS"

 


I have been parked in Psalm 18 for a few days.  One of the things I try to do is to see and understand the God I read about in scripture, then ask myself, "Do I have evidence in my own life of what I have read?"

I especially like Psalm 18 because God is listed and defined in numerous ways. Right off the bat, in verse 1, I am confronted with a huge question. Verse 1 reads, "I Love You, Lord, my strength." I mean straight out of the gate I am confronted with the question of questions. "Do I really love God?" Or am I just saying those words. We try to put human feelings and definition of what we think love is to this verse. But this is a love that is higher than any emotion or feeling found in the human heart. It is a love that is born and brought to the surface by God, at work in us. 

Verse 2 reads, "The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer." 

          A.) My rock - my stable place from which I can go out daily and face what ever comes my way. The stability of God is found in my heart. A stability that means I am not shaken or driven by doubt and fear because of the things around me. The situations and circumstances I face. 

          B.) My fortress -  A strong place where I am safe. What better place to be than in Christ. 

         C.) My deliverer -  God possesses the ability, will and strength to lift me out of the bondage of sin and place me in a new life, when I receive His gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. I don't really understand how this all works, I just know it does.

One last thing:  Verse two opens with "The Lord IS"..... Current...today...right now. It doesn't read "The Lord was"....or "The Lord will be". Maybe that is why we have the phrase in recovery of "One day at a time". Truth be known, today is all we really have. So what am I going to do with it? Am I going to squander it away? Or will I embrace it and allow God to guide me through this period? I think I will embrace this day.

More of Psalm 18 tomorrow....

God on you...

Michael b.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...