Sunday, January 2, 2022

WE ALL NEED TO LEARN FROM THE DRUNK HORSE THIEF

 


Even though I have been involved with recovery from addiction for 24 years, I am no expert by no means. Nor do I claim to be. What I have learned has come from interaction and observing those who are struggling. Trying to see the circumstances they face through the eyes of Christ, and continually asking the question..."What do you want me to do?" is all a part of my education.

To show you something that most people overlook is the state of the character and heart of the individual trapped in the bondage of addiction.  A friend of mine made a statement that I have never forgotten. "If you have a drunk horse thief and you get them sober...........you still have a horse thief."

Get it? It's the character and nature of man's heart that needs to be changed. Drug's or alcohol, or whatever else you want to substitute are only symptoms of a deeper problem. Such is why if you take a look at the twelve steps, you'll see that in Step # 6 of the Christ centered 12 steps that it says..."We commit ourselves to God and desire that He remove patterns of sin from our lives." This would be the character defects we all possess.

Step # 7 tells us, "We humbly ask God to renew our minds so that our sinful patterns (character defects) can be transformed into patterns of righteousness"

So recovery is about confession, commitment, and action to allow God to work in us. This is why next Saturday.....January 8th, we will begin a journey of looking at the 12 Steps and the work of God in the heart and life of those who come to Him asking for healing from their addiction. I am excited about where God is taking us in this new year, and hope that you'll be joining us in the journey, either in person at the meeting, or on line as we live stream.

Looking forward to 2022!
God on you....

Michael b.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...