Thursday, March 17, 2022

REMEMBER


 John 15:20 /  Remember the word that I have said to you......

After getting word of the death of Gary Brooker (lead singer and founder of my favorite band, Procol Harum, I have been "binge" listening to their catalog of music. I have listened at home....in my car as I drove....in my office. I have had a continual flow of their music playing. And with each song, there came to me memories. Things that were a part of my life at the time I first heard the music.

Thoughts of our first apartment after Vicki and I were married, drinking coffee early in the morning with "Whiter Shade of Pale" playing on the stereo. Driving somewhere together and having the 8-track blasting out "Repent Walpurgis". The thought here, as I write this, is that music is a powerful force to bring up memories---both good and bad. How many stereo's did I sell during my time with Radio Shack, using the song "Wreck Of The Hesperus."? All memories that I revisited through the music I heard.

So what about the power of God's word, the Bible? Does it contain the same power to remember. Well, I do know that the Holy Spirit uses the printed word of God as a kind of mirror to see myself as God sees me when I read it. The remembrance of all God has done brings up a whole bunch of "Thank you's", Certain passages draw me to give praise to God for not leaving me in the state I was in years ago. But through His glorious gift, I was saved

Now, if secular music has the power to bring memories, what about worship music? I mean the type of songs that get all down inside you taking you from the mountain top to the valley of emotions. Worship songs that God uses to grab your heart and uncover our need for Him. Now I know that everyone reacts differently to music. I do know that we have such a thing as preference. Preference in the style of music.....preference in the sounds that make up the song, and maybe even preference as to the vocal style that sings. But no matter which, we need to find the worship that draws us into the presence of God.

The power of memories can be the fuel that God uses to push us forward. The good and the bad in our lives serve a purpose. The bad drops me to my knees in gratitude for who God is to me. The good lifts me up to move forward in places I never could get to on my own, in my own strength.

Memories may seem like a little thing, and we may not give them as much credit as they deserve, but in the hands of the Holy Spirit, memories keep us grounded, and urges us to not give up. So, what do you say? Do we move forward today and make some new ones? I think maybe yes.

God on you...

Michael b.


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...