Monday, November 7, 2022

THE BREVITY OF LIFE

 


Psalm 90:12 - Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom.

Sitting here this morning, looking back over the years I do realize how short life is. I guess when you in the "day to day" struggle it doesn't seem short. But then one day to stop to take stock of your days and you realize that the culture and society as a whole has moved on. Don't get me wrong...I'm not pining for the good old days. As far as I am concerned, today is a "good old day."

Funny how in the passage from Psalm 90 (written by Moses) we are to ask God to teach us to "realize"...be aware of the shortness of life. I guess part of this is learning to be grateful for each breath...each heart beat....each day that God has given to us.

Seems to me that being taught how short life is would cause us to evaluate what is important from that which isn't. In other words, I don't need to spend my life chasing after things that only feed my flesh. Those things that seek to catch my attention and draw me away from chasing and following after God. The world truly is like a carnival. The lights, the rides, the games, the food all designed to tease and tempt you. "Come on and knock down three milk bottles and win yourself a prize!" So you place your money and take your best shot. Close but no cigar. More money, more attempts only followed by more misses. Finally you win!! A fifty cent toy that cost you $10.00, but boy you showed them didn't you?

The verse from Psalm says that realizing the shortness of life is a pathway that leads us to growing in wisdom. We see things for what they truly are. Temporary....no substance at all. Sometimes we allow these things to take the place of the eternal things of God. May this never be.

So I guess today I will ponder and ruminate on the brevity of life. Drink me a cup of coffee and give thanks to God that He has seen fit to give me one more day. What will you do this day?

God on you......

michael b

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...