Monday, February 27, 2023

DO WE TRULY DESIRE TO BE BURNED BY GOD'S HOLY FIRE?

 


Words of John the Baptizer: "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and FIRE!!!"

Fire.....hot, light, not something we would gladly stick our hands into. But John is referring to the presence of God in us. In this case, the fire of God is a cleansing and purifying work He does in us.

I think one of the saddest commentaries on a person's life is that they are saved and then sit down to wait for Jesus to come back. Now when I say "sit down" I am referring to the mindset that there is nothing else I need to be concerned about. I really don't need to study scripture.....I am saved.  I don't need to stop living in my old ways and thoughts.....I am saved.  I don't know about you, but I need the fire of God to fall on me and burn away everything that is displeasing to Him. To purify me and help me to stay focused on finishing the race He has called me to run.

There is such a depth and level to the Holy Spirit that we can never know or understand what He is doing in us. But that doesn't give us the right to simply ignore Him, thinking that all is well with us when in fact we carry around the stench of unconfessed sin.

Many of you may be aware of a move of God that is taking place at this moment all over the world. Groups...crowds...gatherings have taken place to simply be in His presence. To worship the One who gives life. To lay before Him and cry out, "Oh God! Here I am. Take me and purify me with Your Holy Fire."  These are for the most parts unplanned and unscheduled. God truly does show up where ever two or more are gathered IN HIS NAME.

Luke 12:49- "I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled."

It may be that the fire Jesus spoke of is the power of the Holy Spirit that could only come after He had accomplished His work on the cross (I have a baptism to be baptized with). I like the use of the word Kindled. A gathering of smaller branches and leaves to use to start a fire. You don't stack up huge limbs and logs and try to light them. You gather us grass, small branches, and other material that is easy to ignite. Collected together in one place, these things are easily lit that allows the fire to grow. 
Maybe God is gathering up people to use as a spiritual kindling to receive His Holy Fire. To be set ablaze for His purpose and Kingdom plans.

As for me, I cry out, "Here am I! Set me on fire!".

God on you....

michael b

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...