Thursday, March 17, 2011

Here's Mud In Your Eyes!


John 9:1
And as He (Jesus) passed by, He saw a man blind from birth.

Jesus was always following the Spirit. Listening for His Father's direction and instruction.
This may not be a bad way for me to live my daily life. I seem to waste too much time not listening for God.
Jesus is suddenly aware that His disciples were asking questions.
"Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he should be born blind?"
Isn't that the way we view most things?
We look to the negative rather than the positive.
The disciples made a rationalization about this man....who sinned?
Jesus makes a wonderful statement that does not fit in with the way some people view life and theology of the this age.
Jesus gave no answer as to what was the reason the man was born blind, but gave a greater reason that would bring glory to God.
This man would be healed by God and it would lead those around this man to be confronted with the truth. Either Jesus was who He claimed to be or..................He wasn't.
It wasn't the fact of his blindness as much as it was here God had an opportunity to reveal himself.

I need to remember this.
Every bad thing that happens to me really isn't about me as much as God wants to reveal Himself through healing or salvation or a demonstration of power.
So......
What does Jesus do?
He spits on the ground and makes clay or mud from the mixture. (Good thing this guy can't see what is going on or else he might have bolted.)
Jesus applied the clay/mud to the man's eyes and then gives him some instructions that seem rather harsh.
"Go---wash yourself in the pool of Siloam". 
"Excuse me...I'm blind. I am not very well equipped to make my way around town to this pool."
You know what....
If you're desperate enough, you'll do whatever it takes to be healed.
Sound rather "AA Big Bookish" Doesn't it.
IF you are willing to go to any lengths.......Here are some simple steps.
This blind man was desperate enough to make the trek to the pool.

Don't you think he looked foolish (here again, the blind man can't see himself)?
What do you think people passing him by thought about his appearance?
"Excuse me...can you help me here...I need to find the pool of Siloam."
(giggling to himself, a man gives him directions."
"Hey buddy, you've got a little something on your face."
"Really? Is in mud?"
"Why yes it is."
"Thanks...I'll be on my way."

We read later in the chapter....the blind man left to go to the pool......he washed himself....and came back seeing. He was blind and now he can see.
How did this happen?
He simply did what Jesus told him to do.
DO you think that maybe.....
just maybe.....
Our lives would turn around in a miraculous fashion if we simply did what Jesus instructed us to do?
I think so.

A life changed by the power of God...
A life taken out of the bondage of addiction and sin....
Always points to and brings glory to God....
You know....
I'm just crazy enough to believe this stuff......

God on you....
mb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...