Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pork And Bean Theology


Psalm 34:8
TASTE and see that the LORD is good;  Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

Very unusual verse.
Using the sense of Taste to determine the goodness of God.
What would God taste like?
Since I am a simple man, with simple tastes..........
I think God would taste like Pork And Beans.
One of life's simple pleasures.
The word "taste" in Hebrew means to "perceive."
Even though we put food in our mouth's and all our little taste "bud's"  do their business.....it is the brain that interprets whether we think the food is good or bad.

To "taste" God means that we take him into ourselves. Into our heart....into our spirit...into our mind......even into our flesh (sin nature). We allow the Holy Spirit of God to invade our very being. When he enters, he convicts us of sin.....offers to us the free gift of eternal life.........gives us a future........empowers us to move through and beyond the problems and situations we are facing. In other words, God becomes the buffer between me and the world. Let me tell you........them there are some powerful pork and beans. So it isn't far fetched to say that "I have tasted the Lord, and have found him to be delicious to my soul."

Did you ever notice something about Pork and Beans?
You open the can there is only one teeny-tiny piece of pork.
Whole can of beans.....
Whole bunch of bean soup.....
One little square of pork.
That one little piece of pork is what flavors the beans.
Imagine what kind of flavor God will bring to you when you place yourself in Him?
God isn't just a little bit in your life........
God is overflowing....
God is splashing and running over....
God is full to the brim.
We take on the aroma and taste of Christ when we give Him free reign in our lives.
I kind of figure that we either smell like sin and death.......
Or Jesus and life.
I choose the whole Jesus aroma.

Also....
Have you ever bought some of the generic brands of pork and beans....
You know the one's I'm talking about...
The house brand that is offered at a lower price.
It doesn't taste as good as the big boy's brands......Campbell's and Van Camp's, not to mention Busch's.
Don't settle for less with God....
Don't accept a generic form of God and simply get all religious in your thinking that you're on the right track.
You may be eating pork and beans, but it isn't the pork and beans God intended you to eat.
God desires to give you His best. That is why He gave Himself for our sins..
That is why Jesus came to this sinful world and became a sacrifice for all mankind.
So that the door could be open for us to enter into right relationship with God, the Father.
Now them's some beans!
Maranatha! Lord Jesus.
Come quickly.

God on you.....
mb




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lol...very deep and insightful! Jesus is my overly buttered asparagus... melts in my mouth and can't be satisfied w just a little bit. My pee may smell different than the rest of the world but my spirit is built up strong and healthy! :-)

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...