Saturday, May 12, 2012

I Love My Sheep-ness


Psalm 23:1
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

I don't care how many times I have read this verse or heard this verse, it never ceases to amaze me.
In the simplicity of this opening verse to Psalm 23, we are given some incredible truth that should bring us great comfort and peace. Sometimes we miss the most profound teaching by God because it is cloaked in the simplest of terms.

There in these eight words of Psalm 23......
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want, we find our position in this relationship between God and ourselves,  that comes with our salvation. We find the hierarchy of the Kingdom of God. We are told of the all sustaining goodness of God, that comes to those who are his. A goodness that meets every need we have or ever could have.
How? How does all this happen? It is all wound up and found in the relationship, that's how.
It happens because I recognize myself as a sheep under his care.
More than just recognizing myself as a sheep, I submit my life and my will to Jesus'  leadership and acknowledge that he is my shepherd. My lot in life is to follow the Shepherd.........nothing more........nothing less.
Using the words "THE LORD" at the beginning of the verse is an acknowledgement that Jesus is my authority. Something that I hold true to in every area of my life. What freedom comes with simply being a "Sheep". I place myself under the care of my good shepherd and I don't have to struggle or run away or worry. I trust the shepherd to guide me daily. I simply follow. I told you it was too simple, didn't I?

It is because of this relationship between Creator and creation that places me under his care and protection.
There aren't a lot of things that we can count on in this old world, but the words of Psalm 23:1 rings with a truth that has not been dimed by the ages.
It stands as a testimony to the heart of God and his will to draw all men and women unto himself.
Will that happen?
Probably not...I think it has to do with the whole free-will thing. In other words, we have a choice as to whether we accept God's offer of salvation. As for me and my house.....well.....B-a-a-a-a-a-a-a! WE be sheep.

The whole battle and struggle with addiction comes down to surrender of will and life.
I can't...
God can....
Turn loose and let Him.
I know that I have kind of boiled this whole addiction thing down but the heart of this battle is realizing that I am powerless and that my life has become unmanageable. I need a Power (Shepherd) greater than myself who can restore me to sanity (put my little sheep-rebellious mind and heart back in place). Looking at how I have lived my life.........then looking at Jesus' track record..........it's a no brainer. Jesus wins hands down.
Can you say, "B-a-a-a-a-a!)
I always tell the guys who come into the program, "Hey! Come on! Cheer up! Look at it this way....Your best thinking.........the very best you could come up with.......has got you sitting in yellow chairs at white folding tables. If this is your A-game, you might need to look at doing business with world differently. Your way ain't working."
Maybe it's time to consider a life of being a sheep.
According to Psalm 23, you can't beat it.

Have a great weekend and I'll see you here tomorrow.
God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...