Thursday, January 22, 2015

Broken


Psalm 51:1-4
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness. According to the multitude of Your tender mercies. Blot our my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight. That you may be found just when You speak, and blameless when You judge.

The words of King David upon being uncovered for having an affair with another mans wife, and for having her husband killed. Even by today's standards, such acts are considered heinous and evil. David's Psalm 51 takes us through the steps of the uncovering and David's plea for forgiveness. There is a brokenness in David when he is exposed. It would have been very easy for him to exercise his kingly power and declare that he was above being scrutinized and examined. He could have decreed that such things as his sin would not be spoken of again while he reigned. But David knew all to well the conviction and pain that comes when a person truly is in touch with the fact that not only have they sinned, but they have sinned against God. In fact, all sin is committed against God.

I have been reading the memoirs of Charles Finney, one of America's great Revivalist. His conversion would seem so out of place in our society today, due to the emotional and mental nature of how God uncovered him. As I read the passages, I had to ask myself, "Is such a display a part of salvation? Does God still come with conviction and break people where they are to reveal their need for Him?" or have we become a nation of people who have become calloused to the voice and conviction of God's Holy Spirit? 

When was the last time you were broken and truly in touch with the fact that we, as humans, all stand in need of healing and forgiveness? It seems to me that the norm for the day is to be joyful and happy in Jesus. Hey! I'm all up in the joy part. I love it when there is that moment of sweet communion with God, coming through a thought or a situation you find yourself in. Nothing is better than to be caught up in the bliss of His presence. But there is also nothing better than the cleansing flood and release of our sin and tears as God pours His love and forgiveness upon us. 

When was the last time you saw a group of people on their face, repenting for their sin? When was the last time you were undone by the simple knowledge that He truly is God and that you only draw your next breath because He gives it to you. The awesome power, majesty and love of God that chose you to be the recipient of salvation and relationship with Him. I never want to become so calloused and hard that I can't sense when God is truly uncovering my heart. I want anything in me, be it sin, thought or deed, that would separate me from Him, to be revealed, confessed and taken away from me.

Psalm 147:3 reads: He heals the brokenhearted, and binds up their wounds. Usually if you use the term "brokenhearted" most think of someone who has been dumped by a boyfriend or girlfriend. Or maybe they are brokenhearted over a situation or circumstance in their life. But the kind of broken hearts this verse speaks of, are those who truly recognize their need for God. Kind of like looking to yourself and realize that you are powerless to change anything in your life, knowing that God is your only answer. In order to bring about change in your life...change has to come to you. There must be a resetting of purpose and direction or else you'll continue to do the same things over and over. Why? Because the very thing that drives you and motivates you in your decision making, is a sin/nature that operates outside the will of God.
Thee is healing when our hearts are uncovered and we see the extent of our choices.

There is forgiveness for living outside God's will.
There is restoration...
There is forgiveness...

But it does come when we are truly broken before Him.

God on you this day.
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...