Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Just Jesus




I awoke this morning with Your name in my mind....
Jesus....

Years ago, when we started our first recovery meetings, I used a phrase to define what we were all about as a community of believers. I didn't invent it.....I didn't copyright it....But I could not think of another phrase that would capture our theology better.
The phrase? JUST JESUS!

All theology is centered on the belief that Jesus is who He claimed to be...
And that He will do what He has promised He would do...
It is Just Jesus!

As the Apostle Paul wrote in I Corinthians 2:2, I have taken these verses and placed them at the center of all I believe and all that I teach.
"For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus and Him crucified."
Romans 4:25 says that Jesus was delivered up to the cross for our offenses. In other words, an innocent man took the punishment that sin demanded. Blood had to be spilled as payment for our sins. The cross is the exclamation point that humanity can look to for forgiveness.
SO the cross is the place of healing, restoration, redemption, and change. It truly is JUST JESUS!

Jesus is the one who extends an invitation to quit living under the demands of sin and the ways of this world..."Come to Me, all who labor and are weighed down with life....and I will give you rest." An invitation to a new way to live that has no qualifications as to who can receive such a gift. The invitation isn't extended only to the elite or the socially acceptable. You see, the things and ways of this world have a way of putting us into classes or levels of acceptance. Jesus looks at all of us and says to the billionaire..."Come to Me!" His gaze falls upon the one living under an overpass, trying to huddle against the cold, and says "Come to Me!" He finds the politicians and offers the same invitation. To the housewife and the factory worker. The preacher and the churchgoer. From the heights of society to the remotest village in Africa..........the call is the same..."Come to Me!"

Do I desire to live free? Then it's Just Jesus....
Do I desire to be made whole in spirit, soul and body? Then it's Just Jesus......
I've been called shallow in my teaching....
I've been even called simple....
It really doesn't matter what you call me....
After all.........it's Just Jesus.
Isn't it?

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...