Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Proud? Or Humble?


I Peter 5:5
God opposes the proud but shows grace to the humble.

Sober words that I don't know that I truly understand.
The very thought of being opposed by God kind of sends a shiver down my spine.
The Creator of the universe....
The Almighty God....

The One True Living God....
Stands against me because of the selfish attitude I carry around.

I don't know if this is the right way to look at this verse or not, but I somehow think the proud is tied to the verse back in Genesis 3, where the serpent (a.k.a. the devil) is having that fateful conversation with Eve. She has explained that if they eat or touch the forbidden fruit, they will die because God has decreed it. With a sly chuckle the serpent tells her..."Not so...not so. God know that if you DO eat the fruit, that your eyes will be opened. Your ability to discern and understand will be increased. Having this view of life, you will be like God!!!!"

If I am like God, then I won't need God. I will decide for myself what is best for me. There you go..there is the foundation for pride. I would go on to say that pride is a defect of character, not to mention one of the pillars of our old sin/nature. Kind of glad the Apostle Paul didn't stop with the verse from I Peter, but went on to conclude that yes, God does oppose the proud...But gives grace to the humble.  Humble? Yes....those who realize they are spiritually broke and destitute. Those who realize their need for God in their lives. Those who admit their need for God. Kind of like the first step in the Twelve Steps. "We admitted we were powerless".....The admission of being broken, in need of being healed.

Pride keeps us from admitting our flaws...our sins...our character defects. Pride keeps us from the life-saving....life-giving....life-sustaining gift of salvation from God. Pride keeps us from seeing the truth about ourselves. In Revelation Chapter 3, we read about a group of people who claim to have it all together. They are referred to as the church @ Laodicea. In verse 17, we get to here how this group sees themselves.  God tells them.."You say, "I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing." God then gives them the truth about their lives. "But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked." Pride would not let this group of people see the truth.

Those who humble themselves before God receive the ultimate of Gifts from Him....His Grace. According to James Ryles (one of my most favorite teachers) the definition of Grace is as follows:  The EMPOWERING PRESENCE of God in my life which enables me to be who God has created me to be, and to do what God has called me to do."  Isn't that what we've been searching for? The ability to live a new life free from the darkness and destruction that we brought upon ourselves? I think maybe "yes" it is. Chew on this today and see what God would reveal to you.

Until next time...
God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...