Monday, November 5, 2018

Where Are You Getting Your Advice And Instruction?


Psalm 1:1
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly.....

This first chapter in the book of Psalm has always intrigued me, especially the first verse. First off there is the idea of receiving a blessing from God. You may be asking, "What is so strange about that?" Well, in the opening words, it states that we are blessed when we don't do something.  In this case, when we don't listen to advice from those who are living life outside of God's will. In other words, it's like going to a bar to ask the bartender "how do I quit drinking?" 

The very fact that you might seek counsel or advice from someone who stands outside of God's will shows the "bad" thinking you possess for yourself. I've seen this kind of mentality over and over when I was teaching out at Rapha (Faith-based treatment center). Clients who were there to be free from their addiction would listen to someone else who was in the program rather than the staff who was there to help them. Really? I'm going to receive counsel from someone else who is struggling with their own addiction? 

So what is the answer?
Easy.

Look to those who have more clean time than you do. They must know something that you don't. More importantly, look to those who recovery has been found in Christ. Those who are working the steps of discipline, and have a proven track record of sobriety. That is why I love to talk with Anthony Mintz, Barry Hooks, Seth Barber, Steve Brewster, Nick Johnson, Mark Branch, Mark Cotney...Ann Wynne..Jessica Hanney...and the list goes on of those who continue to fight the good fight, finding relief and real life in Christ.

The idea behind "Walking in bad advice" speaks of an ever increasing, deeper involvement with evil and wickedness. As I follow bad advice, the actions and choices I take become more and more evil and darker themselves. This leads to an ever increasing number of destructive behaviors. My life becomes more unstable as I travel daily in the wrong direction. 

Kind of weird when you really think about it, but Jesus plainly stated that in John 14:6 I AM THE WAY!" Everything good...everything proper...everything right is found when I listen to Jesus. "Well alright, Einstein! How do I do that?"
First off put yourself in a place where you can hear Him. Work the first three steps of the twelve steps. These steps are about confession of the wrong I've done.....Asking for forgiveness from the only One who can give it....and turning my will and life over to His care. In other words, get out of the drivers seat and let Him take control. Then I began to read the Scripture. Start in the book of John (the second book of the New testament). Try to find you a version of the Bible that you can easily read and understand. Find a meeting and start attending. One of the things that I dearly love is that there are a lot of good meetings out there, run by men and women who have found the value of a life found in Christ.

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...