Friday, April 8, 2022

I WENT TO A MEETING


"RARELY HAVE WE SEEN ANYONE FAIL WHO HAS THOROUGLY FOLLOWED OUR PATH."

Matthew 11:28 - "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Went to a meeting last night. Felt the urge for sometime to  do so, but seems as though things kept getting in the way. But not last night. 
Room was full... Lot of back and forth conversation as guy's settled in.  Some faces I recognized, some were new to me. 

The topic for the meeting was communication. Not something that men are really good at. For better or worse, most men have little to say. Throw in an addiction on top of this character trait and you've got yourself a real problem. We have a tendency to keep things to ourselves.

With the topic given, each man in the room was asked to share. Some struggled to find words. Some wrestled with trying to stay on topic. But in the end, everyone shared. Might not seem like much to some, but this was a huge thing.

The person who chaired the meeting was good at hearing what each one said, and then encouraging them to keep on in this new journey of recovery. Addiction has a way of turning a person into someone who looks within all the time. In other words, as a friend of mine once told me, "We are only as sick as our secrets." We shut down in the communication part. We are focused on "self' and put up a wall to keep others out. 

It was good to sit in that circle and hear the stories as well as share my own. I told of how if one man had not communicated with me, I never would have been tied to recovery. But that is another story for another day.

As I drove home from the meeting, I felt a little more connected to what God had originally called me to. Serve and minister to those who are in recovery. He also showed me that I needed to keep the message simple. Don't complicate it or try to over explain what Scripture says. This was a loving reminder from God that I needed to keep the main thing, the main thing. 

It was a good evening.

Thanks for letting me share....

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...