Thursday, May 3, 2018

Simple Pleasure

Philippians 3:19
Whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame----who set their minds on earthly things.

We speak of the destructive nature of addiction.
The power it has over those who are trapped in their using....
We have heard about the health issues that come from prolonged using, and we've been told about the psychological problems that happen.
But one of the most insidious things about addiction is it's ability to rob a person of experiencing life's simple pleasures. Things you and I take for granted, no longer is a part of a person's life who is chasing the next high. Things you and I experience everyday, no longer evens register in the life of an addict.

One of the things I love is my first cup of coffee in the morning. The aroma of opening the coffee canister to make a pot. The sound of the percolator (Yes, Virginia, I still use a percolator) as it hisses, gurgles, and strains to produce that liquid joy. 

Pouring it into my favorite mug, and taking that first sip....bliss.
Perfect way to slide into my day. Simple thing this liquid we call coffee, and especially when consumed from my favorite mug. 


Sleep! Another wonderful pleasure that God has give us. The ability to shut down mind and body and be restored. Of course coupled with this is his gift of peace.
Peace to our minds as our thoughts slowly stop spinning and come to a halt. Peace that allows us to enter that place of real rest. His peace, not the peace the world claims it can offer to us. The older I have gotten, the more wonderful sleep has become to me. Yes, I know that I get up super early, but only because I try to get in bed at a decent hour. Long ago I discovered that not much happens after 9:30 anyway. Johnny and Dave no longer have the late night time slot, so there you go. Hit the way in a most glorious way.

Grand kids! Wowzers! What can I say about my two. Vicki and I were blessed to have two sons. Each one unique in their own way. Each one passionate about life, wanting to carve out their own place for family and career. Both with a love for God. 

2002 Tyler was born. The first born of my first born. 2006 Ashley was born. The first girl in our family.
I have watched these two as they have grown, and have enjoyed every moment of it. Materially, we may not have an abundance, but I tell you what we do have tons of........laughter.........memories.......hugs......and shared moments. Family is everything to me. Not a family fractured...or divided. Not a family that has hatred for one another. But a family that is there for one another. Who is not afraid to look in each others eyes and say, "I love you". What's more.....mean it when they say it. Family.


I will experience one of my pleasures here in a minute. After I finish this posting, I will walk outside, cross the street to secure our morning paper (once again Virginia, I get a real  honest to whooey, newspaper.) I will stop at the edge of our yard and gaze up into the night sky. Taking in the darkness, the stars and the moon when it's out. Realizing how small I am in relation to the universe. At the same time overwhelmed with the thought that in spite of the vastness of space, all the planets and stars that are out there, God saw fit to invade our time and space to secure salvation for all who would receive. A bit mind boggling. O.k.....so it doesn't take much to boggle this old noggin.

Thanks for letting me ramble this morning.
I pray that if you have read this post and you are struggling w/ addiction, you'll think about what you've missed and are missing because of the high. That you'll find a meeting to go to. That you will cry out to God and tell Him, "Help me! I want this madness to stop!" Somehow I believe.....I really mean it...I believe He will hear your prayer and guide you to where you need to go, and do what you need to do. Peace to you...

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...