Monday, May 10, 2021

KINGDOM VALUES


 

The verse above is from John 17:3 and deals with "knowing" God. In fact, the very thought of knowing God may seem foreign to some people. Knowing "About" someone is far different than actually knowing them.

Some will only go as far as filling a pew or a chair on Sunday morning, singing the songs, putting a few dollars in the offering, only to leave until the next Sunday. There is no thought given to God during the week, except in those cases where we find ourselves in trouble and we turn to Him to help us.

We very seldom turn to Him for direction or wisdom. We don't seek Him out to spend time with Him because of our love for Him. I know that there are some who will say, "You don't understand----I just don't have time for such things." I do understand. I understand that we make time for the things we truly love to do or to be the people we truly want to be with.

One of the first things I learned when I came to the Vineyard was that they had a set of values. And the very first one on the list read as follows: "I value the pursuit of God. I am hungry to know God's presence, hear His voice, and follow hard after Him." Now I don't believe that the Vineyard has the corner on this whole "pursuit" of God thing. This is the very core and foundation of relationship with Christ that transcends all denominations, churches, etc...

The funny part in all of this is that as the years have rolled on since my entry into our fellowship, my desire has grown to pursue God. To pursue His voice as I read His word daily. To look for Him in all my circumstances as I go through my daily life. I've tried to live under the direction and influence of this world, and it didn't work. It promised me everything and left me empty which only drove me to chase that much harder. 

So how do you come to a place where you want to pursue God? You find yourself a fellowship that teaches the Word. A community of like-minded people who are hungry for the presence of God in every aspect of their life. Now don't confuse what I've said this morning with chasing after an experience. The pursuit and experience become more important than actually being in God's presence. IT becomes a vehicle that is selfish and self centered. It becomes all about you and not about God.

I love the first verse of Matthew 5.

"And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him."

They came to Jesus.....the verse doesn't say that He called them, whistled for them, or motioned in anyway for them to join Him. The disciples were watching and when they saw Him sit down, they came to Him because He had something to say. They wanted to hear the words....and oh what words they were. We should have the same attitude. Always be watchful and ready to hear what God has to say...more important is that we need to be ready to apply what we hear.

I think this is enough for today....
Before leaving the house this morning, tell God..."I want to pursue You today. You told me to deny myself, take up my cross and follow You, and that is the desire of my heart today."

God on you..

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...