Friday, October 2, 2020

STAY THE COURSE


 I want to keep thing simple....

No use complicating the obvious or trivializing the momentous. This has been my view for a while now. Why this view? Because I'm a simple person. No need to fill my innards with a bunch of "Should-a, would-a, could-a". Keep the main thing the main thing. 

Thinking on recovery, I think maybe there are only two ways of accomplishing it. One I refer to simply as "recovery"....the other I call "recovery +".  The first one is simply a person applying themselves to focus all their energy toward not drinking or using. Some have accomplished this, but there is a price to pay for such. It usually comes in the form of a very unsatisfied life....a hard life....lots of anger and resentment. Like I said, there are some souls out there who have accomplished the feat of finding sobriety with no one else's help.

The second way, which I referred to as "recovery +" involves seeking help, and power to change outside of ourselves. Looking to THE Power that is greater than us who can restore us to sanity. That Power would be Jesus. Approaching recovery from this angle not only leads us to sobriety, but also a new life and a new way of looking at life. We no longer answer to "Self-will run riot". 

Why am I writing this? Well, I've been stuck in Galatians for a few days, and have found that the apostle Paul is writing a bunch of folks, warning them against those dastardly people who come among them telling them that there is a better way than Jesus. That they couldn't have real life unless they followed a set of old ways, and old rules that dominated religion before Jesus came along.

Isn't that the way it is sometimes? That others want to put a bunch of hoops for you to jump through in order to achieve something. When in fact, Jesus merely said..."Come to Me!" In the act of turning heart and will over to His care, we surrender our way to follow His way. 

Paul writes in Galatians 1:6 - "I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ, and are turning to a different gospel----which is really no gospel at all."

My greatest concern at this point, is that people have gone comfortable during this pandemic with not going to meetings. Hear me when I say this---- I'm not focusing on this to increase my numbers at ReCovery Church, so it would look good. I'm more concerned with people connecting and finding some accountability as they navigate these unusual times. Am I against meetings that live-stream? No! We live stream, and I'm grateful that we learned how. But live stream cannot take the place, nor should it, of human interaction and contact. We all need this.

Consider returning to a meeting....It doesn't have to be specifically the ReCovery Church....but go. Be a part....connect.....and recommit yourself to get back into a routine of pushing forward and not listen to the old voices.

Looking forward to seeing you......

God on you...
Mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...