Wednesday, July 14, 2021

VERSE FOR TODAY


 Psalm 5:3 - Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my request to you and wait expectantly.

Prayer is a much misunderstood word. The act itself  conjures up all sorts of images. From the high and lofty prayer of someone who is intimately acquainted with God, to the the mumbled words of that person who is at the end of their wits.

Some treat prayer as if it were a magical spell used to bring down God to do our bidding. Some simply fill the air with words hoping they do some good. But then there are those who move into the place of true fellowship and relationship with God. Where the heart defines the words, the conversation flows easily because of time spent together.  Oh, don't get me wrong---I know that a lot of the ways we pray to God is defined by our current situation or circumstance.

The family who is waiting in a hospital room with a loved one whose life hangs in the balance....you know their prayers are born from a place of fear, grief and pain. No matter what our situation may be, God is listening.

The part I love best about the verse from Psalms is that after my prayer has been prayed..........I wait expectantly. Hard to do sometimes, this waiting. Am I waiting to see how God will answer my prayer? Maybe. Am I waiting to see if God will say anything at all....probably. Am I waiting expectantly? There is the kicker. Am I waiting expectantly?

Am I waiting in the knowledge that He is God and I am not? Am I waiting, trusting that He knows best how to answer my prayer? That I will be accepting no matter what the answer is? I have to remember that I have been called to follow Him. Follow means not only the direction or movement of my day, but the also the answers that come when He does speak. 

I confess that when it comes to prayer sometimes I feel like "Ned in his first reader". Very inadequate in my efforts. But I'm not going to let this stop me. I want to grow in my prayer life. I want to discern His voice even clearer than I do now. I listened to a sermon where the speaker asked a simple question. "Do you want quantity or quality to your prayers?" Me? I choose quality.

Time for me to scoot... Y'all have a good day.

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...