Thursday, October 21, 2021

HOME NOW.....HOME FOREVER ON THIS SIDE OF HEAVEN

 


How many times  over the past 27 years and 4 months have I walked through this door? More times than I could count, yet I never tire of stepping into this room. It is home to me. I learned to worship in this room. I watched others minister and pray for people who had come forward for ministry. Watched in amazement as God healed, God restored, and yes.....even saved without exception to any one who came seeking Him.

I learned how to worship.
I learned how to lead a worship team. There were times when the presence of God was so thick you could almost cut it. Then there were the times when I was prideful in my own ability to lead worship, and God would say "Have at it since you are so sure of yourself". Didn't take long to realize the songs were dead.....the words seem to fall from my mouth and spill out on to the floor, never reaching God. How could they, I had made worship all about me and not Him. Lesson learned.

I have heard some incredible teachings and messages that stirred me to seek out truth for myself. I became a student of the Bible (even though at the time I didn't know that this was what was happening). While I look to the past with these thoughts I've written here, I feel that the best is yet to come.

So what do I mean by "the best"? Best isn't something that can be measured. It's not about nickles or noses. It isn't about how many 'behind's' you put in the seats at your church. As John Wimber told us "Church, if you have a need to measure it, is found in the quality of the people it produces.....not the quantity."  This is not a slight against large churches. I am grateful for every large church in our area. Such groups can do more than we ever could. They have the resources to reach out in ways that we cannot.

At the same time, we are able to reach a portion of people that sometimes slip through the cracks of these larger gatherings. Such is our call.

Birthed into a call to those in addiction, we have learned (and continue to do so) how to help those struggling to come out of that darkness. Such is why we do our Saturday Breakfast giveaway. To help those who have been marginalized in our city. More than a plate of hot food, we want to love on those who come looking for a meal. We want then to know that they are important and that their lives matter to us. We not hear to notch our belts with the number we feed. We are hear to show the love of Christ in ways that will speak to them.


Romans 10:14 kind of sum up what the ReCovery church is all about.

"How then, can they call on the One they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?"

There is no doubt that God has us downtown for a reason. And there is no doubt that we have been called to meet on Saturday nights. That be the case....then I think I want to stick around and see what is next in this life journey.

To heal...

To hug...

To help those in need.

Thanks for letting me ramble this morning. We do live stream our meetings on the ReCovery Church Facebook page, but we really would like for you to come and visit with us sometime. Meeting's start at 7 p.m.

God on you..

mbb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...